• In the Spotlight:

What would you do?

My 4 year old decided to pee down the cold air return vent instead of walking 10 feet to the damn bathroom. I don't know what to say to him I'm so mad right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm so sorry. I'm proud of you for coming on here and venting instead of ripping his head off. :)

Remember, one day he'll bring a lovely girl home to meet his mother. And on that day you can tell this girl all about the time when your son peed down the air return. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I don't know what I would do other than talk to him about it and tell him how upset you are. But if it makes you feel any better I worked at a daycare with a group of 4 year olds for a year and we had a repeated problem of little boys thinking it was a good idea to pee in inapropriate places. So apparently its normal.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• BOYS WILL BE BOYS!!

Im sorry i had to say it. I know your mad as hell right now, and i don't blame you for being mad at him. But hey he had a lazy moment : )
    Did you talk to him about how your feeling and give him a time out?
    Anonymous

• whoop his butt! or take away privliges (toys, tv, ect.)
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Gosh that's a new one to me! How would you go about cleaning that? I guess I'd have stern talk with him about appropriate places to dispose of his waste. I remember when my brother was a teenager he got really lazy and started peeing in bottles in his bedroom. My father found out and FLIPPED OUT! I still remember him screaming "WE DO NOT PEE IN BOTTLES IN THIS HOUSE! WE ARE CIVILIZED PEOPLE!" It doesn't seem like you should still be potty training a teenager...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Make him help clean up. That is the biggest thing. Make him realize that it is more work to NOT go to the potty than to just go there in the first place.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• At about that age my 5th child was down stairs (basement) playing a video game in his brothers room, well instead of coming upstairs to use the bathroom he pee'd in his brothers trash can, brother was none to happy when he found it a day or so later. I didn't really punish, but we did have a talk about it and he had to clean the can. At four you can talk to him, but let him know that this was his only shot and that if something like that happens again he will get such and such privelages (sp?)taken away. Mind you my son also went on later to "feed" the back of the toilet cotton balls, he said it was hungry....it would not flush for anything, for weeks we were pulling little pieces of cotton out of the little water holes. I could go on and on, but kids do and say some of the weirdest things!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Boys will be boys, is true. NO whipping his butt though. Talk to him about going potty in the proper place. Have him help clean up the mess. Not sure how you would do that though. My son used to pee all over the floor around the toilet and he would pee into the bathtub instead of the toilet. Boys do the weirdest things and they will outgrow it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• my son use to pee in his sister's babytub. I found out and we took him to the ped's office. The ped told him that if he had a peeing problem that he would be more than willing to refer him to a "pee pee" doctor ( peds words not mine) and they would stick a camera in his pee pee to see what the problem was. Ds asked if it would hurt and the ped said yes very much. It didn't happen again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I'd spank his butt & make him clean it up.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 28, 2009