How can I get my son to sleep in his crib?

My son just turned a year old and has been co-sleeping with me and my husband. We have been trying to transition him to his crib but nothing is working. He shares a room with us and I can be right there if he needs me. I go through a routine every night...bath, story and then I rock him. He'll sleep for a couple of hours and then he wakes up. We have tried letting him cry it out..but he never goes back to sleep. We've tried rocking him again and putting him back in the crib and he still wakes up and wants in our bed. What can I do? Nothing I have tried seems to work? I have heard other talk about getting a toddler bed. Is he to young for this? I need help!!!

wickedlilwitch

Asked by wickedlilwitch at 8:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put some of his fav plush toys in his crib with him. and move the crib close to your bed so he can se you and your hubby so he feels a little safer. I dont have a baby yet but I will soon and this is all I can think of to do for ya sry but GL
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 8:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Have you tried putting something that smells like you in there? Maybe cuddle him with a blanket while he is awake and then lay him in the crib with the blanket or whatever object.
    NickyJamesMom

Answer by NickyJamesMom at 8:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• What really worked for us ... take the front of the crib (the drop gate) off, then push te crib against a wall, and your bed against that.
    ,
    And just continue your normal routine, but have baby sleep in his own bed. During the day play in there with him, and talk about how it's his comfy bed, etc.

Then, when you think he's gotten used to the idea (it may take days, it may take months), start slowly moving his crib. First just seperate the bed abd the crib, then in a week or 2, move hte crib by the bedroom door, then if there's room, in the hall, then to his own room (if thats where you want him). Wether to put the drop gate back up is up to you. Mine turns intop a toddler bed so we left them off.

Good luck! And remember, it takes time!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I converted the crib to a toddler bed; at 10 months due to a similar situation (we didn't co-sleep but my son wouldn't sleep through the night). It did not help at all, I just had this wondering uncontained screaming child that still wanted mommy.

We just did the brutal cry it out thing with my DS. He would cry for hours, miss sleep, but eventually he learned, he wasn't getting out of the crib, and after several weeks, (yes it took a while) he started sleeping by himself all night. Now a year later, he still sleeps all night peacefully in a crib and I am glad he is not in a toddler bed. And although at the time it was heart wrenching, it was the right thing to do for our family.

You'll find the right solution for yours too, hang in there.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2009