How can I get my 14 month old twin son to stop biting?

He frequently bites his twin brother and me. He has a tendency to get very aggressive when he does not get his way...a bit scary since he is so young. I have placed him in numberous timeouts. I am a bit hesitant to bite back...I feel like it is the wrong message. Help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lol, no, don't bite back :P

First, realize this is TOTALLY normal, and doesn't mean he is aggresive or will be aggresive in the future. Right around this age, children start exploring this department. tantrums/hitting/biting/kicking, etc.

He is just exploring that part of his world right now. Now that doesn't mean you just let him do it, lol, but don't feel too exasperated by it.

when he does this, say "oww" or whatever, and show him how to "be gentle" and stroke his arm and talk sofly. I did this with my daughter and at first she would still do it, but kiss me right after, lol, and now she is 2 and absolutely never hits or anything.

Just be consistent, get down to his level, and have the compassion to know that he isn't doing it to hurt you, he is just testing his world.

Good luck hun, this too shall pass :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Does he have a favorite toy, put the toy in time out. Maybe tell him what is okay for him to do. Like go tell you, let him vent on a pillow or what ever you want him to do. Then when he does it or even makes an attempt (at first) to do it reward him with, maybe a special toy, or one on one time, something that he values. This might help him. Also Sesame street does videos on emotions, Dragon Tales I know has an episode, we had it recorded for awhile. Make sure you and hubby model what ever you want him to do when he is angry. Also redirect him to another activity, have a few that you know will distract him well ready to go.
    Also is he very verbal, this will probably decrease as he talks more. He is still young and it is common for kids to bite, they don't understand that they can hurt people yet. Or even the difference between real and pretend. My 18 month old hits her sister all the time.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• put soap in his mouth when he bites or bop his mouth(no hard just enough to hurt his feelings.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2009