i dont know if i should have my son curcimsised

i have so many people telling me what to do but i dont know could you help me and tell me what you think it would be great i have just a few days left so HURRY PLEASE

luckymomof2009

Asked by luckymomof2009 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's not medically neccesary, purely cosmetic. There is no "reason" to get it done. All it does is cause them pain, it doesn't matter if they are too young to remember later in life.
    Anonymous

• I am against routine infant circumcision. So my response would be not to do it. There is no medical necessity, and I don't believe in cosmetically altering a body that is not mine. If you're unsure, then don't do it. It can always be done later, but can never be undone. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• It is a purely personal choice. I was conflicted the same way. In the end we opted to go ahead and do it. I am glad that we did. I actually left it up to my husband since he knows more about having a penis than I do. He is happy with his so he decided (after much research and deliberation) that we would have it done.

And I do know some men who have had to have it done as adults for medical reasons due to infection. It's much worse as an adult.

Also, it does not really hurt them that much. They numb it with a topical, then they inject a numbing agent, then they do it. There is some pain after the fact, but it's not that bad - at least our son wasn't crying constantly and screaming and freaking out or anything. He was very calm and happy.

It's up to you and the baby's father, don't feel pressure on either side - just do what you really think is right in your heart.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My husband said that he wanted his son to be able to get BJ's when he's older so that's why he wanted it done.

Don't get to riled up he was only kidding!
    Anonymous

• Also, research it. Thoroughly. Getting opinions is good, but research is better. AAP is not really recommending it anymore, and some ins cos are not paying.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• YOU need to do your OWN research and not take the advice of other moms...you may do something you will regret. Please make your own informed decision...my DH is not and he can get BJs perfectly fine =).....however, if I ever have a boy I will have him circumcised...i have done my research, I have seen them done and assisted with them and it's my choice. good luck and congrats!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• we had both our boys done, my mom works at a urologist and sees many older children and male adults come in with sever infections due to being uncirced. also they are much harder to clean< the baby i watch is un circed and it gets lots of gunk ubetween the skin adn the head>
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 10:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Ask your son if HE wants it done. It is a cosmetic procedure. Please read The Case Against Circumcision at http://mothering.com/case-against-circumcision

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Make your own decision.

You DO NOT have to do it immediately after birth. You do have time to research and decide. Give yourself time and make an informed decision.

I personally would never circumsize my son.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• it will save your son from getting an infection hiv aids. etc...
    parisonmom

Answer by parisonmom at 11:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2009