do you think Michael Jackson being raised in a cult JW helped mess up his life?

http://www.4witness.org/jehovahs_witness/jw_lds_cults.php

I feel very sad he was raised this way!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do want to add though.. for those that are christians will be pleased to know that he had the opportunity to accept Jesus Christ 3 weeks before his death. Andre and Sandra Crouch were close friends of Michael and Michael invited them over with questions about Jesus, Holy Spirit. He allowed them to pray, held hands with them which HE NEVER does since he didnt like being touched. More of this story is on Andre Crouch's facebook fan page.
    I am happy that he is no longer in pain and with the Father as a son the son he never got to be.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• No I think it was a combination of many things: his father, his childhood stardom and all the pressures, his lack of friends because of his career as a child, his attaching self worth to adoration from his fans...and it just continued downhill from there.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Actually, I think the way his father treated him had more to do with the way he turned out then his religios views did (you know, abusing him!). And I still don't think JW's are any more of a cult then any other religion is. For me, a cult is a group of people who chose to reject society and it's views and live the way they want to, whether it is legal or not. Like the KKK, or devil-whorshippers for instance. And let's not forget the wonderful Heavan's Gate followers.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I don't think it caused it but, I doubt it helped much either. I read all of the JW info on that site and found all of it to be true based on my personal experience growing up JW. The only two things I don't know about personally are if men are truly to refrain from growing beards (I'm not a guy don't know if I just didn't pay attention to it or if that's not true) & if the Theocratic War Strategy is used (but, that seems like something only elders would be privy to if it is true). I do agree with the tone of the site that fear and control are integral to the way the organization operates. Some may disagree but, as a young, impressionable, and very thoughtful child, that was very much my experience.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 9:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I'm sure it contributed, everything that ever happens to us shapes us to one extent or another and being raised in a cult/religious environment is a biggie. It can be a negative influence or a positive one. I know people who have had issues that might have really ruined their life without help from their church but I also know people who are quite miserable because of it e.g. a gay friend who will probably never date because his family's church really looks down on homosexuals.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• http://blog.beliefnet.com/pontifications/2009/06/michael-jacksons-faith.html
    in Michaels own words page down this to the JW part.
    He had no childhood! by the way the Jw"s use their own bible not the King James
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 9:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• i think if he wouldve stayed jw he probably wouldnt have those weird tendencies that he had. I think his dad and hollywood had alot to do with how he turned out.
    Anonymous

• No I don't, do you think that the fact that this womans grandfathers Baptist church messed her up and made her commit the crimes that she did? http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/14/earlyshow/main4943228.shtml?source=mostpop_story
    Anonymous

• I think it has way more to do with his abusive father and childhood than any religious convictions.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• No, I think being treated like livestock, never being good enough for his father and not being allowed to have a childhood is what screwed him up.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2009