Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sister is very mean to her son. She is always hitting him or pushing him or yelling at him. What can I do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (16)
  • Mind your own business.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • try talking to her about it, or talk to him when no one else is around. maybe you and him could go to her together (like an intervention) if that doesnt work you could suggest counseling. if she keeps treating him that way he will end up being mean to other people. maybe you could get him to tell someone else that shes abusive and they can do something about it, like getting childrens services involved.

    Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • Have a conversation w/ her about it. I kinda agree w/ minding ur own bussiness but it never hurts to simply say whats on ur mind & then stepping away from the situation afterwards. Its not healthy for him & u need to explain this out to her. Tell her ur not comfortable w/ this behavior but u still love her all the same. She may take what u have to say in a bad way but also explain that u dont feel like shes a bad parent that maybe she just needs some other suggestions on how to disciplin & then give her some. She may find this helpful but u wont know unless u try.

    Answer by Mel30248 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • when it comes to family it IS your business

    Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • what if she hurts him really bad the next time and puts him in the hospital?

    Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • Tell her that when shes having a bad day and needs to hit someone, it should be someone that can hit her back. If she gets pissy with you, tell her not to hit your nephew anymore or you will smack the shit out of her

    Answer by CavMamma at 9:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • I would talk with her first but be prepared for her to get defensive with you. Not many people are open to someone telling them how to raise their children. If it's really bad, you can call CPS. I think it is your business when it's family and what if your the only one that will help this kid.


    Answer by Cindy18 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • Tell her that if she continues to abuse her child, you will call CPS on her. Get her some books on parenting, child development (so she knows what is appropriate at each stage of childhood) and discipline. 1-2-3 It's Magic is a wonderful book about discipline. Someone needs to stand up for this child and protect him before it is too late.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • call cps if a child is being abused. the wrong hit can damage a child forever and you can protect the child

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:01 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

  • You could try to talk to her. And you can explain to her the consequences of her actions. Me I might have wanted to smack her so hard, my hand would hurt. Its the short person syndrome. OR the Patti syndrome . Either way, do something.

    Answer by PestPatti at 12:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.