my daughter will be 2 1/2 in august and doesn't talk much

she says uh-o, momma, her name, all done and thats about it, she rambles on was sounds like another language so we can't understand it. should i be concerned i know alot of other kids younger than her that talk more. what can i do?

mom24147

Asked by mom24147 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i did not talk until i was three.. i made sounds and noises.. but no real words. my mom had a friend with a girl the same age as me. they took her to all the specialist, hearing docs, speech etc. they told her she would talk when she wanted to. at three, just after i started talking, she started talking. delayed speech is also inherited. my dd did not really start talking until she was three. the one thing i would make sure though is that her hearing is ok. if she is not talking by the age of 3 1/2 i would suggest speech therapy. be sure to read to her at leat 15-20 minutes a day and talk to her as if she were an older child. have her pick out her fav animals/pics in books you read to her. these things should help....
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• If you have the resources available, I would definitely have her evaluated by a speech therapist. Our state/county offers this for free. Ultimately I'm sure she will talk on her own, but if you can give an encouraging boost with therapy, why not??
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• The speech therapy suggestions aren't bad ones. I'd also forbid TV, and talk to her as much as possible. Whenever you are together just narrate what you are doing. Also, when she learns a new word, don't let her grunt or gesture, make her use it. If she's having trouble remembering remind her, but try to always make her say it if she doesn't get really frustrated. Go through the house and point to things she knows what they are and name them. And don't talk baby talk to her.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Call Early Intervention. My son is 2 1/2 and he does not say ANYTHING. www.dds.ca.gov is the website for california. If you dont live in CA, then go there anyway, and you can probably find out the number for the office nearest you. GL!
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My son was not talking at 2 1/2 . I had him evaluated by the school district and he is behind in speech. When he turned 2yr and 9 mo the school district was able to get him into their early childhood program. He is 3yr 4 mo and he has made quite a bit of improvement in his speech!

You may want to call your pediatrician and see if he/she things your daughter should be evaluated by a developmental specialist (mine just gave me a referral for my son)- or if they know of anyone/any program that could evaluate your child and do therapy - if needed.

Or if you have Head Start or the Birth to 3 program, Early Intervention in your area call them and ask about their programs and if your child would qualify.

Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• well you shouldnt be conserned every child talks at a different age... how ever with both my children by a year old they could speak clearly... i owe it completly to the advice of my uncle.... the day my first was born he told me "never speak baby talk to your baby, he said you you can speak in a very happy voice but talk the same as you would me and your children will talk earlier,clearer and have a much easier time going to school" i did that they both talked very well at one and my 2 year old talks as well if not better than most 5 year olds.... not saying im any better than anybody else.. just got some really good advice from a very smart family member... so maybe you should try talking alot in a normal talk to your child... start conversations even if he/she doesnt know what you are saying just talk and respond.. ( not saying ur not doing this already but if your not this could really help you)
    Miss0pinions

Answer by Miss0pinions at 11:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• she is prob fine have you ever had her ears checked my daughter dosent talk that much either she is 2 1/2 but when she was 2 her dr decided to put tubes in her ear ( b/c her ears didnt drain like they were suppose to ) we she has had them in for 6 months and we see a big improvement she went from only saying about 5 words to now we almost can carry a conv. with her
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2009