Did you know that not all cops and firefighters know proper car seat safety/installation?

Or that many people who DO know these things are NOT cops or firefighter? I pose this question because MANY people think that any police or fire station can help you with your car seat, and many times, they are not trained. If you choose to get your seat checked ( which I recommend to every parent) make sure you go to a CPST.

No drama, no jugement, just trying to pass on important info :)

Krysta622

Asked by Krysta622 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Now, I'll answer my own question. No, I did not know these things all along. I believe I've known for about 1.5 to 2 years.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• good, now I don't have to worry as much if I get pulled over if it's not in there perfect.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I was the poster of the other answer that told the woman to take her seat to a police or fire station. And I realize that, I was expecting that a moron wouldnt do it and if the officer knew nothing about it would direct her to the correct person or place....thats what officers do,help.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

Yea, cause it dont matter that your kid is not in properly, it matters that you dont get a ticket. geesh.
    Anonymous

• if you call your local fire department/police station they can tell you what ones are certified to install the seats correctly. there are only a few in my area but they told me which ones i could go to when i called.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• mom2two, I hope you don't think this was negatively directed to you. It wasn't. I'm also sure that an officer that really didn't know what they were doing would direct her to someone who does, but I am worried about the cops who THINK they know what they're doing when they don't. We put our faith in them, and often times, they incorrectly install and offer bad advice. SOME, not all.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• No, I am just in a pissy mood b/c of another mother on here.....lol....I dont know why I let them get under my skin.....lol. I should just let them wallow in their stupidity and leave them alone....lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Some of us (me) live in a city where they don't pay to have the cops and FF's trained for carseat safety. I think its crazy - like they can't find any $$ in the budget... I would think childrens safety would be somewhere near the top of that list :(
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 10:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

You may not have to worry about being ticketed for incorrect use, but I'd be worried about a potential accident.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Kiiimmmmmm

Most CPST don't get paid for these services, (or at least that's what I think)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2009