How can I wean my 2 year old son from using a bottle to go to sleep at night??

I actually have a son who has had such a hard time since day one. He was born 13 weeks prematurely, and was in the NICU for 3 1/2 months. He came home and has been in the hospital over 25 times. He has Cerebral Palsy, but it actually beating the odds and is excelling. He is now (after many surgeries) living a pretty normal life, so I decided to go ahead and try to wean him off of his bottle. He has used it for comfort due to his hospital stays, and I have let him to give me a break...The thing is that he ONLY uses it to go to sleep with. I know its gonna be rough, but does anyone have any suggestions to make this transition simple? Thanks!

isaaclukesmom

Asked by isaaclukesmom at 10:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I weened my daughter's off the bottle I got them a sippy cup with the "nipple like tip." It's rubbery like a bottle nipple but it's actually a sippy cup. It is a fairly easy transition. You can get them at Wal-mart for like $3. I hope it helps. And I'm glad that your son is doing okay.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 10:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I have been doing the same thing as well... I am trying to fill her belly a bit more before bed and giving her water. She asks for the bottle, and sometimes is so crabby until she gets the bottle I just give in. I'm 7 months pregnant and I don't have the energy to fight it. She rarely takes a sippy, she prefers a regular cup or a sports bottle instead. I brush her teeth with a very small amount of children's toothpaste that has the flouride every other day or so. She kind of gargles the water, but she swallows it too and I don't want her to have bad teeth but don't want her to have flouride poisoning either!
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I would go with the Nuby sippys, they are alot like a bottle but a good transition to a real sippy cup. And as the pp said, they are only like $3 at walmart. After he gets used to that, then maybe switch to just water at bed time, after you brush his teeth. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My daughter had the bottle way to old. We had to have her physically throw each bottle away, all the while explaining what a big girl she was and how she didnt need them........... It was a rough couple of weeks, I am not going to lie. But, eventually she adjusted and was fine. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
    CrazedMomof2

Answer by CrazedMomof2 at 11:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I'm going to give you the answer I would give if your son had not experienced his early problems. After using this with my own children, my grandchildren and children I've cared for - it's just about the only way to go. There's NO giving in even a "little" on this if you really want him off the bottle. It's best for him, his teeth and eating habits that you take him off. Substituting a silicon sippy cup is no different than a bottle - so, it's all or nothing. Buy him a special cup to use BEFORE bed - let him choose it. Explain that he's a big boy and "now, we're going to throw your BABY bottles away". Let him help you.Then comes the tough part - letting him cry . It WILL get less and less each night and usually takes 2-3 nights. Be reassuring, but if you give in even once - you'll have to start over. There's no easy way to do it . It's always a security/comfort issue NOT one of thirst or hunger. Hang in there!
    Waycross48

Answer by Waycross48 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• OK this is what I did with my DD she was 13 months old when I did it. I started giving her a bottle before she would get into bed and we would brush her teeth afterwards and I told her you can not have anymore bottle now your teeth are all clean and I did this until I simply took the bottle away. She was fine. Also you may want to give him a snack maybe 20 mins before bed so he's nice and full. It will be a lot better for his teeth.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• i agree with the sippy idea.. with my daughter i never let her take the bottle to bed... if they dont drink at nite they dont pee at nite helps with potty training... but i completly understaind why you would... and i know that you dont want to cause to much trama for him so i would try the sippy that feels like a real nipple they sale these at walmart,target,kmart and any store really with baby items.. only fill it half way tho cause usually even the spill proof ones will leak and he wont drink the hole sippy in one nite.
    Miss0pinions

Answer by Miss0pinions at 11:32 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Thank you all for your ideas. We are on Day 2 with NO bottle... its actually not been as bad as I thought. I did the transition to the NUBY cups with my first one, and he still takes it at night... I was determined to take it away completely. I do have to lay beside him and rub his head until he falls asleep, but it is much better than a bottle. It give me time to pray for him, and just relax with him. I am so glad I was able to hear other opinions. Hopefully we are going in the right direction, and next is to take the "Milk" Sippy away from my 3 year old son, I know I should've done that first... huh?? :)
    isaaclukesmom

Answer by isaaclukesmom at 11:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2009