Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have tips for helping my son to speak well?

My 3 y/o has a hard time with almost every word. He's very understandable, but he has a hard time with a LOT of words. (i.e.


Asked by mommymonkey at 10:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 9 (276 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • I stand corrected, the omission of the fist letter in each word is a phonological disorder, here's a helpful sight in explaining, and if this is how your son pronounces words, its not his fault and not something you can just fix, he needs help with therapy. Good Luck

    "Children with phonological deficits often substitute t/k and d/g. They frequently leave
    out the letter s so stamp becomes tamp and snake, nake."

    Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

  • This sounds like a normal three yo. My daughter was still having trouble with Rs and my mother guilted me into changing my daughter's name around so her first name didn't have an R. Turns out, she says her Rs very well and it was a normal things at that age. Just because we say it with our adult mouths doesn't mean they process it or can say it with their immature brains and mouths. I would consult a speech therapist for an evaluation after discussing it with the doctor. Be patient and his speech will become better and better as he grows. If he has delays, by then he will be in school and you will have plenty of resources to help you.

    Answer by happi-ladi at 10:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • you can take him to speech therapy through your school district for free. I thought my three year old was behind because all the other three year old's he played with seemed to speak more advanced than him. I took him to speech therapy for a consultation and he didn't qaulify. She said he is where he should be. Now he is 3 1/2 and I've noticed his speech is advancing again.
    So if your 3 year old doesn't qaulify don't worry. Kids begin to start talking better. If they never did we would all sound weird.

    Answer by Julie522 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

  • Make an appointment with your pediatrician for a speech therapist referral. You can wait until he is older, the school will send him to speech if it is really the way you reported it. But I personally would not wait. My son had speech issues as well and therapy went a long way. The down side to waiting until he is in school is that sometimes teachers unfairly make the association that a child who has speech issues might not be that bright. Not even remotely true. Also get his hearing checked if you have not done so already. Many speech impairments are due to having some hearing difficulties. Talk to your doctor for all the appropriate referrals: ENT for the ears and to check basic structure of his throat, soft pallet, and tongue as well as ears. Things like adnoids sometimes gets inflamed and they cause complications with speech. The ENT will rule things out. Speech therapist to also assist in finding the right path.


    Answer by frogdawg at 1:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

  • get some speech therapy or aba

    Answer by lovejoy at 2:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

  • Well, I don't know what happened to my original question, but it included the words "There is no speach therapy offered here". So, thankk you for the tips, but does anyone know of anything BESIDES that?


    Answer by mommymonkey at 3:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

  • I am unsure, Does your son have difficulty with saying the words correctly? or does he have difficulty coming up with the correct words to use. Is it the sounds in words that are incorrect ( if so, what are they) or limited language or words put together.

    Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

  • Sissy comes out issy, garage comes out hodge, Dukie comes out Hukie, R.J. is R-hay, and on most words, the first letter is almost silent or missing when he talks.


    Answer by mommymonkey at 5:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

  • Thats a language disability, it actually has a name that I can't currently remember. I'm not a dr. but chances are its not going to go away on its own, because its an articulation disorder. You need to get your son into speech therapy. I know you said it doesn't exist in your area, but I highly doubt that since its a required thing for many children on IEP's. You may not know about it, but I can promise it exists, privately or in some local school district. If there is just 1 child with speech therapy written on their IEP the school district has to provide said therapy, so there's no way it just flat out doesn't exist. Talk to your pediatrician for a referral, or go to the local school districts main office and request a referral.

    Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2009