Nervous

Ok I know this is stupid but I am going through slight panic. I'm a first time mother of a sweet baby girl who will be a month old tomorrow and she hasn't been out of my sight for longer than an hr or two since she came into the world. My mom (who is a wonderful mother and raised 3 kids all on her own) wants my daughter to spend the night at her house one night. I have said no cause I am just not ready to be away from her for a whole night.. I talked to my husband about it and he thinks it's a good idea.. He said it would be a great bonding experiance for my mom (who we go visit at least 3-5 times a week) and my sister and it will give me a chance to sleep for a whole night. I agree.. I know my mom is a wonderful mother and Gwendolyn will be in safe and wonderful hands.. but I still feel stages of panic knowing I won't have her for a whole night.. any advice on how to get over this?

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 11:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mon son started spending the night at his grandma's when he was seven months old. It is one of the best things I've ever done. It's still hard on me, but he loves it. And now when he's older I know he won't be freaked out about spending the night in other places. I also really need the time with my husband. It's hard being new parents and a night to ourselves is always a nice treat.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• duh, "my son"
    why is there no edit button on here????
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I just feel at a month I shouldn't be away from her for a whole night but I know it will be ok.. I just don't know how to put myself at ease over it. I know Gwendolyn won't know the difference cause she isn't old enough to know I'm not there and she does really well with my mom and sister when I go over.. I just feel sooo nervous.. lol.. I know it's childish..
    Faeriebrat

Answer by Faeriebrat at 11:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• my only advice is let her spend the night out when your ready if you don't think its time yet then its not time I have a four year old and she didint spend the night out till she was three and I have a 2 month old and hes looking at about 3 years too
    mommydearest151

Answer by mommydearest151 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I would not do it so if you don't want to then dont. Bonding can happen still when you are all together and i think it is unnecessary for little babies to spend time away from their parents. I think it is very confusing and hard for them to. Home is where Mom is. I won't be doing it for ages. Just cant bring myself to be seperate and my family understand that they have to visit us.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• You DD may be fine with them when you are around but she is old enough to know you and your smell and the house and the difference. My DD is fine if I am around but if i walk away and leave her with someone (even if she knows them) she will scream until I come and get her (which is like 10 seconds)
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• The best advice I can give it this, follow your gut instinct. You are her mother and it will never lead you astray. It is nice to know that you have family that is willing to help you out but if you arent ready, she wont be ready. Kids pick up on emotions very easily. Dont let anyone pressure you. If you arent ready, you arent ready simple as that.
    valentinemama

Answer by valentinemama at 11:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Don't do it if you are not ready. You will probably get less sleep! :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:58 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• The idea of getting a whole nights sleep sounds all too good.....BUT, you probably wont sleep at all. If you are nervous and apprehensive about it, dont do it. She is too young to worry about her staying the night at grandmas. There will be LOTS of time for that when she is older. My daughter is 18 months and still hasnt stayed at my MIL, never even babysat during the day. Im just not comfortable with it. Plain and simple. We live with my mom, so I cant say either way. But, I have never left over night for my mom to watch her. Heres an idea, maybe you and her can stay the night at grandmas and if grandma wants the night shift with her, then let her. You would be right there and you would feel much better about it. This may also be great bonding for you and your mom too.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:10 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My son is 8.5 months and I still haven't been away from him for a whole night. I am a nervous nelly. I can't do it b/c I worry to much. I trust my parents too. I just don't want to leave him yet. Maybe at some point I will want a night alone with my hubby or a vacation.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 1:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2009