What is your definition of Judging?

Because I'm just curious. :)

SparklingHope

Asked by SparklingHope at 11:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My defintion of judging is using ones own beliefs and theories to make others feel inferior, less of a person or even "evil" or wrong.
    -AShley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Judging is to form an opnion about anything or anyone. Usually after that opinion is formed what ever action or words said after that is judgemental.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Holding people to your own personal standards even if they don't believe in them and they are not basic societal standards of law. Deciding someone is a good practitioner of your faith is just as judgmental as damning someone who isn't.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Trying to determine someones final outcome.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Judging to me is makin an opinion about someone/thing with the little bit of knowledge that you see/have heard. So if I see a women wearing slutty clothes I judge that she is promiscuous *sp?* If I am in a jury and hear how this man burtally murdered his brother. Then the defense makes a great argument I make my judgement off of those factors. I really try not to though cause God has asked us not to. Not because it's a sin ot going to burn in hell it's just not good. Cause then gossip happens and that's also asked by God to please not do cause gossip is usually full of lies. This hurts people and sometimes more then just reputation sometimes it tears families apart. Ruins peoples lives. But I am human, ergo I am going to make judgements, and when we do God asks us to be RIGHTOUS in our judgements. Maybe that women dressed like a slut is going to meet her husband for a surprise lunch break. You never know.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Although she is causing other's to sin by having men look at her with wanting eyes, that was not her intentin. So when I do judge I just remind myself that I don't know that person's heart. Only God knows our hearts and only He can truly judge us.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• depends on the subject. since we are in the religious section I'll explain what I believe it means from this point of view..

judging is when someone is condemning another for their beliefs, without knowing the history behind the person, and without just cause. judging is when you put a group of religious believers into a large category without looking at the individuals in the group. Judging is when you make an assessment of a religion based on your own personal beliefs without bothering to research the religion itself.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• * rhanford:

loved the analogy you threw in there :).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My defintion of judging would be to try to judge someone's MOTIVE for something that they did or didn't do.
    lynnsl

Answer by lynnsl at 11:21 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Judging is unavoidable. If we were unable to assign "good" or "bad" to anything, we'd be sitting in our chairs unable to move. We make judgements every day as a part of survival.

Excessive judging in a social setting is what becomes harmful. It is this type of judgement that requires that someone form an opinion of something or someone and assign that it is either "good" or "bad." This is usually done because of the inability or unwillingness to sympathize with another person.

I usually define judgement as not only the forming of opinion + assigning "good" or "bad," but also dictating a punishment. Saying "I think X is wrong." is one thing and not necessarily a judgement. Saying "X IS wrong" is a type of judgement but more or less just an honest opinion. Saying "X is wrong and X deserves a bad consequence because I say so" is a complete judgement and the most dangerous type.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2009