Babies Head shape??

I took my son to the doctor yesterday and they said every thing was okay except that one side of his head is a little flat. I seriously freaked out. I feel like i am such a bad mom right now. I have noticed that he like to be on one side of his head since he was about a month old. People told me not to worry and that it would get better. But every chance i got i would move his head. It got better but now the doc wants us to see a specialist and i really worried. Can any one relate? Does any one have good ideas on how to fix this so it doesnt get so bad?

april2505

Asked by april2505 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know a lady who had twins with this. They had to be fitted for special helmets and had to wear them everyday. The mom decorated them and it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My son has a flat head on his right side. We didn't do the helmet. We took him to a neurosurgeon to make sure he didn't have craniostytosis (sp). He is okay and his development is good. He had torticolis, where he preferred to turn his hhead to one side and his neck muscles were tight. He went to therapy for a while. His head rounded out a little but is still flat looking. I feel bad too but knowing he is developmentaly okay makes me feel better. I think it had a lot to do with the vacuum assisted birth and the long delivery...he also had to be in NICU.
    But i do hear the helmet works pretty good. They just have to wear the helmet 23 hrs a day.
    let me know what you decide to do. My son is 8 months now.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 1:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My son had a flat spot. It's called plagiocephaly. We got him a helmet. He wore it 23 hours a day, but it really didn't bother him at all. The downside of the helmet is that it is expensive. However, we felt it was totally worth it. If a flat spot is left untreated it can cause problems with depth perception, hearing, balance, jaw alignment, etc depending on the severity of the flat spot. If your son is still pretty young you may able to correct the flat spot through therapy by making sure he doesn't lay on it, etc. That will only work for so long though. We got our son's helmet at 9 months and he had it off by his 1st birthday, but they don't really like to start helmet therapy after a year because the skull needs to still be growing.

Please feel free to PM me if you have ANY questions. Don't feel like a bad mom. Often these flat spots develop regardless of what we do.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 2:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• my son had one but grew out of it. They have dont several cat scans and things to his head to check. but his dr says he's fine.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 3:02 AM on Jun. 28, 2009