How often are HPTs wrong?

I have ALWAYS been I time every month you can set a clock by me I think I'm late if I dont start by noon. But this month I am now a full week late, so I freaked out and took a hpt and it came back negative but Im having all the same symptoms I did with my first I just want to know if I should re take the test now that it has been a few days or if I should just go with the negative result and wait to start

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Retest with your first mornings urine. It gives the highest concentrate of the HCG hormone used to detect pregnancy.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• you are probably early same thing happened to me wait a wk if you can then retest because retesting in the morning you still may not have enough hormone in the pee to pick up and you'll just be driving yourself crazy wondering. i took i know 5 test and all showed neg in one wk and i finally just gave up and about a wk later still didn't start so i took another and sure enough i was preggo.
    pandora09

Answer by pandora09 at 12:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Take another test.
    I used a cheapo brand of tests this time at first and got false negatives 4 times in a row.
    Then used a name brand and got a positive the first time.

Go with your gut and take another test.

newmum07

Answer by newmum07 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Go with another test... Although I highly doubt you are pregnant being that you are already a week late. Stress, anxiety or even wanting to be pregnant can cause late periods. Either way, good luck to you.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:23 AM on Jun. 28, 2009