Has anyone done this? custody???

My ex and I going to start the everyother month custody thing with our son, because I am relocating out of state. Our son is 2. He gets him for all odd months and me for the even ones. We start this for July, and so having not yet done this yet, is tearing me apart. Has anyone else done this? I am afraid I guess that he will forget me, how do I ensure that he doesn't? I have never been apart from him for more than 2 days since the day he was born and now I am facing 30!!! I never dreamed when we set this up that it would be this hard!! But now that it's set up, I know theres no way to change it. I just want to make sure that when our son is with his dad that he doesn't forget me!! Was thinking about sending a framed picture of me and his sisters with him to his dads. Is this appropiate? I plan on calling at least twice a week if not more. Any other suggestions??

Alwaysacarnie

Asked by Alwaysacarnie at 12:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• Are you and your ex on good or oklay terms? Maybe both of you can make videos that your son can watch when he's with you ex and watch your ex when he's with you. And of course there's phone calls.

MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I think you should get a small photo album. ...just a small one. and put several different pics in it. some of just you. some of just his sisters. some of just you and him ect ect. And have him leave it at his dads. even when he comes home with you. He doesnt need it while he's with you. that album should stay at his dads. Also, it would be good if his dad does something similiar.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:21 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• So how are u sure he won't get him full-time when school starts? I wouldn't do that I would let him have the child one or two wEeks at a time. With me having him an extended amount of time in between. Good luck though.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:21 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It came down to alot of factors and in the end his dad does get him when school starts and I'll be the one with summer visits, e/o holiday and christmas vacation. Am I happy about what went on in that court house Thursday? HELLL NOOO! But it has happened. I can't take it back! In 3 years the case can and trust me will be reviewed again and we will see what happens!! For now I'm just gonna try and make this transition as smooth as possible for him. I love the picture album idea, and I'll be sure to let his dad know that he can do the same!
    Alwaysacarnie

Answer by Alwaysacarnie at 12:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• He wont forget you. We moved from orlando to miami last year. My husband had to go about 3 months ahead of us and get our apartment and everything set up. My daughter was about 13 months at the time. We came down to visit a couple of time but it was a little over a month after he left the first time and my daughter recognized her daddy right away, she was so excited to see him. Just give him pics call him as much as possible and if you have a webcam that would be another good way he could see you.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• yeah a picture of mom would be nice

Answer by admckenzie at 12:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I think this is going to be good for your son as hard as it is on you. He will have his parents equally which is always good. At 2 yrs old you shouldnt feel like you're overdoing it by calling him every DAY.Eventually you will feel better about the situation and maybe make it every other day. You can send him with a photo album or if you have a way to record video you can send him a video via his dad's email every so often. Your son is in NO WAY going to forget you, don't be silly! Before you know it, it will be your month!
    MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 12:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• You can also use Skype for their video service - it's free, and while sometimes it is not the greatest pic, it's free.

We use it with the GPs who live out of state, and my kids love it. We have been using it for 3 years now, since ODS was 2. They have no problem with it, and really enjoy it.

I would also see about you and ex arranging to have the NCP call every day. It helps to keep the kids connected. When my DH or I have been traveling away from the kids - and it has not been often, but it has happened a couple of times - we call every day. The kids like it, and babble for a few minutes.

Good luck!!
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 2:58 AM on Jun. 28, 2009