Potty training for a 14 month old girl?

My MIL is nagging me about starting to potty train my Grand-daughter who lives with us. She just turned 14 months old. I was wrong about needing to keep her on a bottle but I think getting the seat out and starting now is just way to soon for this little girl. Any thoughts? I know I need to tell her to mind her own buisness but she really is being a pest...Claims she was trained by 8 months...60 year ago. Help!

Mona330

Asked by Mona330 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have an 18 month old and I agree that 14 months is too early. They say 18 months should be the soonest, but only if they are showing signs of being ready to potty train. Google "potty training readiness" and take the quiz, it's really helpful to find out the signs and if your LO is ready or not. I know my grandma says that her 5 children were all potty trained at a year old, but who knows!?
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• From one grandmother to another - 14 months is WAY TOO EARLY to begin potty training. Most children are around 2 - 2 1/2 when they are truly ready. Rarely, at 18mos. but I wouldn't try it. If you make an issue of this before she's ready - you'll have a problem from now on. It will become a battle and you don't want that. It should be a good experience. FORGET THE MIL. YOU are the caregiver! I've been caring for toddlers/infants for 50 YEARS (since age12) and I know about this issue. Trust your relationship with your g.child. SHE will let you know when she's ready. You can BEGIN reading stories about p.training but don't rush this!!. Children who are forced often end up having "accidents" for 2-3yrs. At 6mos. MIL'S PARENTS were TRAINED to CATCH her and put her on the potty.NO WAY TO TRAIN A 6MO OLD. IT's IMPOSSIBLE FOR 6MO OLD TO CONTROL THEIR BLADDER. She could not even tell them when she needed to "go". BLESS YOU!!
    Waycross48

Answer by Waycross48 at 1:01 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• my son was 21 months old....but he was ready..he never fought me when he would sit on the potty, and pooped on it and peed he was ready....just look for the signs and tell you mil to mind her business
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My son was ready at 13 months (would run screaming to the potty from a diaper) but I would NEVER push a child into potty training! Yeah, she just needs to mind her own business.
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Yeah I was 14 months old when I literally handed my mom my diaper and my bottle. And never had an accident or anything. I had chickenpox though and probably realized when I wet my diaper it stun! But if she isn't ready you might not have much success. Wait till she starts showing you signs. 14 months is not too old
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2009