So my 14 month old knows how and crawls the entire flight of stairs...GREAT.

He does it over and over so now I have to stand guard there. Haha.

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would put up a gate.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Put up a gate. Put it a few steps up so he can climb up and down a few steps to get the hang of it, but if he falls he won't get hurt.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 1:57 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• PUT UP A GATE. Just because he's learned a new trick, doesn't mean it's safe for him to do it. They are VERY unsteady at 14 mos old and the risk of a fall on stairs is very great. For your own peace of mind and his safety - put up a "Gate"!!! What happens when you CAN'T stand there and watch him or if he gets away when you are busy, climbs up the stairs and then falls. I can't bear to think of what would happen to your precious baby. There are so many nice gates that don't need to be permanently attached to the wall and are easy for you to open but NOT for baby. I wish you all the best, but ,to make this grandmother happy, please put a gate up. God Bless you!!!
    Waycross48

Answer by Waycross48 at 4:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• my daughter is 19 months and her favorite thing lately is going up and down the stairs. we have a gate 4 stairs up that attaches to the walls but had a swinging gate so you can walk through it. she climb up to it and say "up" but then she just climb back down and she still thinks its wonderful.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 9:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I agree, put up a gate until he's good at it and let him practice on the bottom few steps. It shouldn't take long. My guy was 7 months when he started climbing upstairs and he could butt shuffle down but it wasn't till he was about 16 months and able to walk up and down properly that I let him do it alone.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I completely agree with putting up a gate. My son would crawl the stairs at 10 months and by 14 months was WALKING them independently (with my right below him ready to catch just in case). Now he is 2 and since he spent almost a year walking them without a single mishap I let him walk them alone :)
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• lol gates are great, unless they learn how to climb over them, then you're stuck with trying to hop the damn thing in time to catch your escapee! lol. This is the BEST time to spend some quality time teaching your child how to go down the stairs, by scooting backwards on his knees, or by sliding down slowly on his bottom... good luck!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 1:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My 16 month old can up them with no problem at all. I am alternately horrified and proud. We have gates at the top of each stairway and we just block the bottoms off with chairs etc when we are in that room.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 8:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2009