do you moms keep an eye on kids when swimming

ok i don't get it there has been 50 deaths of kids drowning in swimming pools this year...what the hell are parents getting to lazy to keep an eye on the kids..today a 2 year old drowned in a pool parents didn't know where he was how can you not know hello...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I KNOW RIGHT! My mother has a pool and all she's allowed to do with my daughter is turn the heat off on the hot tub and go in there with her. I made it clear a long time ago that the gate around the pool is to be locked at all times! My daughter will be 4 soon and I also talked to my step dad to double check things when I'm not there. I get soo nervous, but some parents are very ignorant.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 1:23 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• yeah, if I'm not in there with him then another adult is && I still watch from the side of the pool.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I'm by my dd's side 24/7.. in the pool she gets brave and likes to go under (19 months). I always am there with my hand on her arm or under her arm pit... It is scary!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My mom told be about one she heard on the radio, the mom was outside with her 2yo son swimming, then it was nap time so they went in the house, the kid fell asleep so mom took a nap too, dad came home and woke up mom and asked where the kid was, she did not know, they found him in the pool, drowned. I was like WOW! I guess these poor parents hadnt heard of putting latches up high on their doors so the kid couldnt get out by himself.

I have a pool for my daughter who is 18 months and I am allways right at her side, I never even walk away for a minute. I also make sure doors are locked so she cannot get out by herself. I cannot believe how irresponable parents can be.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• when we are anywhere near water they all wear floating devices, and they know not to go near the water without mommy or daddy. I Dont just watch them they arent allowed in with out one of us!!!
    army_wife_916

Answer by army_wife_916 at 2:44 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• my youngest does not go in the pool alone or out back near the pool unattended. EVER! Our back door is deadbolted 24/7 and the ladder to the pool is locked in the upright postion when noone is in the pool. My older kids are 12 and 15 so they are allowed in the poo with someone else never alone.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• No. I don't watch my kids. That is your job isn't it? Don't you think that the women who lose their children like this are already blaming themselves?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My older 3 are allowed in our 4' deep pool without an adult out there IF they are all going in together but they aren't allowed to jump off the ladder. They aren't allowed in if it is just one of them out there (always with a buddy). They are 9 (today is her birthday), 7 1/2 and 6 1/2. I check on them every 15-20 minutes through our big glass sliding door and remind them of the rules. So far, so good. My 3yo isn't allowed in the pool unless there is an adult outside because she can't touch the bottom (she wears floaties in the pool, the other kids can all touch and swim underwater and all that). I trust my kids, they know the rules and they follow them or they lose the privilege of swimming (with or without someone out there and they LOVE to swim).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Yes I really do. I am paranoid about safety. Sometimes a little too much. I had a brother who died in a freak accident. Not swimming related. So now my goal is to be safe but without being a helicopter parent. Swimming is a different animal. As an adult I would not swim by myself. There is always the potential that something could happen: a slip, a fall...freak things. My husband was a life guard and did that for many years before graduating from college. There is absolutely no way that we would not be watching our child. Even when your child is right in front of you accidents still happen. Right now we are in the process of joining a pool to teach our toddler the beginnings of swimming. We are around a lot of lakes, pools, boats...ect so water safety is on our mind. No fun being at a lake house if your children can't know basic water safety.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• ohh i know! its ridiculous how some parents dont. me and my 5yr old daughter are housesitting at my brothers for a week, and they have a pool, and it is SOOOO nerve-wracking!! its an above grund one, but its still 5 feet deep and 25 feet across, its huge! but ya, shes not allowed going anywhere near the pool if im not out there. and even if i am out there she is NOT allowed to walk up the stairs to get into the pool by herself! im not wiling to take that chance!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2009