does chocolate really kill dogs

if so does it take a lot how soon would i know something is wrong right away and if you take to dog to the vet can they fix it my 2 year old gave our new dog a couple spoons of nesquik powder

littleleesmom

Asked by littleleesmom at 1:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Pets

• I think if it is in large quantities. My mom lets her pomeranian lick the wrapper of her chocolate cupacakes and bars and nothing has ever happened to her.
    MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 1:21 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Your dog will be fine. Yes chocolate is bad but they have to have a pretty good bit of it. Dark Chocolate is very bad, and their is only a small amount of chocolate in Nesquik powder. No worries! In addition, garlic, onions, and even grapes have the same effect as chocolate does on a dog.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 1:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?

The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.

Toxic Levels

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
    Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
    Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
    Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
    1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
    1 o
    MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 1:23 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Clinical Signs

Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

Hyper excitability
    Hyper irritability
    Increased heart rate
    Restlessness
    Increased urination
    Muscle tremors
    Vomiting
    Diarrhea

MiSSHiSCAMP0S

• Treatment

There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.
    MiSSHiSCAMP0S

• They should be fine. I think cocoa powder isn't as bad as real chocolate. My old boxer literally ate half of a chocolate cake once, and it didn't bother him at all. But another time he ate a couple chocolate chip cookies (yeah I need higher counters!!!!) and he was wierd for like two days. He never threw up but he had the runs and just slept alot. I called a emergency vet when he did it and the nurses there just told me to keep an eye on him so i really would worry to to much.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• our poodle at all our christmas chocolate candy one year and only puked for a day. She never died (until 3 years later at 15 years old.) but at least it wasn't from chocolate.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:29 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Yes, chocolate can kill your dog... Misshis said it best... There is no antidote for it either. Although some people are lucky enough to have their dog survive, it is very dangerous for them and can cause severe pain and illness.
    Be more careful next time... Your 2 year old could have ingested something deadly within that same amount of time...
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:27 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• When I had a dog, he ate a tray of brownies I left within reach on the counter. I was worried, but he was fine. Then about a week later when I made some more brownies (this time I put them on the back burner of the stover and put a lid on them), he somehow managed to eat all those too. Well, he was fine. Super hyper, but fine.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 2:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• it doesn't matter the amounts, a dog should never have chocolate...theobromine is the poison that can kill a dog. My dog got a hold of an energy supplement that contained theobromine and we almost lost her. After a $2000 emergency vet bill, she was ok, but it can give them a stroke and kill them...If your dog is big, it has an advantage. He should be ok but PLEASE don't let it happen again.....
    On average,
    Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
    Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM
    tter if it's in large quantities or not
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2009