What happens at a Army Military Ball?

What happens at a ball? i hear about this Dance you need to do? Never heard of it. How does the seating arrangements go, food? kind of clueless with this stuff!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I suppose it depends on the branch. I have been to Cavalry Balls, and we don't have a special dance. We go through the receiving line which takes forever. Say our to dos to the quest speaker, the SCO, his wife. We take our seats, the colors are posted, we eat dinner, we make grog, do a bunch of toasts, the guys get trashed, we dance, then we go home.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 2:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It is going to be a welcome homecoming ball, its going to be either formal or informal. It is a Army Ball. My husband is a Specialist...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Homecoming from deployment, sorry forgot to write that down
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• We typically do these when the guys get back from deployment. We just had one last August when they got home. Ours was formal. I have pictures of it on my page, under Cav Ball. The Cavalry is really about tradition and pomp and circumstance. Is he Armor, Infantry, Aviation, MP, Signal Corps, Chem Corps, Artillery, Engineers Corp? If you know his MOS it makes it a little easier.
    We usually do our balls at the Officer Clubs, or hotel banquet rooms. Typically, we are seated at round tables, and can choose who you sit by, unless you are a Senior NCO, or Officer. Since he isn't you should be able to sit by who you want to. Dinners are always different depending on the location. Last time we had a buffet style dinner with Prime Rib. Rest assured there is always a bar! lol I find that they are always a lot of fun. They can be awkward if you don't know a lot of spouses. The guys tend to migrate together, especially post deployment.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 3:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• If you know another spouse try to sit by them, then you have someone to talk to. They typically do a bagillion toasts. Usually there is a guest speaker as well. We had Ben Stein last time. Yes the "Bueller? guy, lol. We were under strict instructions to not make that comment BTW, lol. For the most part it is about having a good time. They really can be fun.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 3:32 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• How can the government afford a ball for the homecoming? Couldn't tax dollars go to a better place like the veterans that camed home amputated?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:01 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• the last one i went to we did a cocktail hour first, then we did recieving line, then speeches, eat, then a couple more speeches and then dancing started. once the dancing started we left cause my husband was wearing a foot boot cause he fractured his ankle (we had already bought the tickets and my dress) we had assigned seating but you can move the little cards around, i think they mainly did it that way cause there was a choice for your dinner.
    oh, to the anon there was some fundraising done for ours.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 7:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

Anon, how about YOU ASK if government money was used before you go assuming. Sheesh..... Every Air Force Ball I have been to, has been done with sponsors and fundraisers. Sometimes money is put in (minimal) from a Squadron, Bases "social" fund, but that money is minimal(last one we did it was less than 1% the total cost of the event)...  Get a clue behind that blue question mark, wouldya. ;o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My husband and I went to the Military Ball (Army) when he returned from his deployment. I don't know about the dance you're talking about, because we left before it got to the dancing LOL. Basically, he wears his Class A's (mmm!) and you wear a cocktail dress. All of the men from the brigade or battalion (not sure, but there were atleast 400 soldiers there) will attend with their spouses. You all stand around and conversate, drink, take a professional picture if you want, and then they have you sit down for food. Usually the spouse ordered your choice ahead of time, for us it was either chicken or beef, very good though. You'll have arranged seating, with eachother, of course. They do a little awards ceremony while you eat, and then I guess the dancing starts. It was fun, have a good time!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• it's a really great excuse for you to get an awesome dress.
    The ones I was to we had place cards, similar to a wedding, there was plenty of booze, and the guys really let loose later on,

They are fun, plus he looks great and you get to, too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:13 AM on Jun. 28, 2009