3 year old and constant bloody nose!

My daughter has been having a pretty severe bloody nose pretty much all evening, on and off... it's ruined three outfits, stained up the carpet and whatever else. She went to a birthday party at the lake and spend the entire day there, came home around 3, went to sleep, and woke up bleeding pretty heavily. It's been in the upper 90's here, too... I've been thinking it may be dehydration so we've been giving her plenty of water. What could be going on?

mamajody0507

Asked by mamajody0507 at 2:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• From my personal experience and that of a friend it could be at least a couple of things. I had A LOT of nose bleeds growing up, especially if I got too hot. I guess from a rise in blood pressure?? But it was because I had a "then mucous membrane" in my nose that didn't cover the blood vessels well.
    My friend's dd is 5 and had bad nose bleeds until she had her adnoids removed about 6 mos ago. She still has nosebleeds from time to time but I don't think they're as bad or as often.
    She may have allergies to something she was around or a sinus infecion. Maybe she sucked some lake water up her nose. Yuck and God bless her.
    I'd mention it to the ped at next visit. Call tomorrow if ur really concerned.
    rachel92782

Answer by rachel92782 at 3:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I do not know when it started for me, but I have been getting consistant bloody noses from as long as I can remember (before Kindergarten) and I'm 23 yo now. I get them no matter what... dry weather, touching my nose, whatever! Even getting it wet sometimes. It just bleeds.
    The easiest ways to stop it I've found are : Cold wash cloth under the back of the neck, a cotton ball or paper towel pushed up under the upper lip, ice the nose.... these combined stop my nose bleeds which happen at the drop of a dime and last for hours, sometimes days. On and off, but I don't get more than an hour without one.
    It could be she is dehydrated so water is good, but try those other techniques... I also read now you are supposed to put your head down instead of back and let the blood pour out. ?
    I hope she feels better!!! And I hope it stops soon! When it is done, she will be very tired, and dizzy so load up with iron
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:21 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My little sister always got bloody noses like that until they found out that she has thin blood. She does not take aspirin at all because it thins your blood. She would get bloody noses mostly in the heat because she was dry. Your daughter might have thin blood,, its not a bad thing if that's what it is. Just a thought :)
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 2:27 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My husband had that problem when he was little and he says he went to the doctor. The doctor did something to the veins in his nose (singed maybe) so they wouldn't bleed as easily.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2009