How do I get her to sleep!??!

I live in Alaska, it's daylight outside. I've been trying to get her on a bedtime schedule (she's 19 mo) and since it started getting daylight out more she's been sleeping maybe 6 hours at night.. finally falls asleep at midnight when the sun is actually down. I've been in there tried rocking her to sleep, reading her books just being with her. She wants to play because she thinks it's daytime still (looks like it's about 3pm outside!). I don't know what to do. I've tried CIO and she just sits in there and says "mama" over and over and over.... i don't know what to do anymore!!! How do I get her to just go to sleep! My dad said slap her butt, but she's not doing anything wrong, it's nature inturupting her sleep time! I could put a blanket up but she would tear it down daily and then we'd have to find tacks everywhere. Any ideas??? We've been at this for 2 hours so far

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 2:37 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• From a grandmother - it's EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that babies learn to soothe THEMSELVES to sleep. We ALL have to do it and until THEY learn how - then it's YOU doing it. Patting and rocking, Is great and I still do it but don't get them to sleep. Put them to bed AWAKE! Now, about the sun being up. Buy a ROOM DARKENING SHADE - make sure to mount it extending beyond the window opening sides - NOT inside the opening, Mounting inside will allow tiny vertical slits of light to come in down each side of the shade .They are even less expensive if you don't have to order a custom size since an outside mount isn't as precise . IMPORTANT - estab. a bedtime routine and stick to it. NOW you will have to put her to bed AWAKE and let her begin to learn to soothe HERSELF to sleep - CRY. It is NOT easy, but SO import. that you NOT give in - for HER sake and YOURS. You'll be so happy you did it and she will sleep better God Bless you
    Waycross48

Answer by Waycross48 at 3:58 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• did he say spank or pat her butt because my daughter passes out night or day if I lightly pat her butt or back
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 2:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• he said spank her.... i dont' see a reason to spank her.... she gets excited when I'm in there and it wakes her up even more it seems!!! I've tried scratching her back, rubbing her feet/shoulders or whatever but lately she's been more tickelish!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:00 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I'd duct tape tin foil on the windows. I used to live in the desert and did that to keep the heat out. It will work in what ever room you want her to sleep to keep the light out. It will be harder for her to get duct tape down. Then just pretend as if your sleeping yourself in the same room with her. I do that to my kids all the time when they wont sleep and it works lol. So I'm crossing my fingers that it will get you results too

MOM_OF_FOUR_00

Answer by MOM_OF_FOUR_00 at 3:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Jun. 28, 2009