Is it ok if i breastfeed my 7mos boy to bed?

My son won't just take enough milk unless it's his bedtime,he is satisfied just with babyfoods during daytime.But at night times,he wants me to nurse him even though he just had his babyfood and is full.He then falls asleep while he is still latching.My health visitor recommends me to breastfeed him quite early and leave him in his crib so that he can develop his own habit of falling asleep all by himself.What do i do?M just so CONFUSED.

momsaranx

Asked by momsaranx at 4:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would do what your health visitor suggested.. or could you breastfeed him til he falls asleep then put him in his crib to start with???
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:50 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My baby is kinda the same way but he want's his bottle to go to sleep and if he don't have it he will cry and fuss for an hour or more. If I fed him baby food then I will put him to sleep with a bottle of water and then pull it out after he falls asleep.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My 17 month old did that all the way up till 15 months! coming from someone who didnt listen to the health visitors...I would listen to her/him. My son is very clingy with bed time, has to have mommy. I finally got him on his own but it was brutal! Do it when you are ready because there is no difference at this point other then it will become more habitable if you wait longer. Just do it soon....if he sleeps in his own bed I really wouldnt worry too much, you do not want him latched all night because that would hurt his teeth. the milk is bad for their teeth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Nurse him!

"Health visitors" (I'm guessing you're in Britain?) tend to be poor advisors on breastfeeding and sleeping.

And please, make sure you're offering solids only AFTER nursing or you will run into a supply problem. Solids are an afterthought, all the way to the first birthday. They are not important for growing healthy babies the way breastmilk is.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:45 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Do what feels right for you. For me that would be nursing him to sleep. It is the most natural and peaceful experiences for a baby. He had the rest of his life to figure out a way to go to sleep by himself. Why change something that works well!
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 7:28 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It is best for your child to go to sleep without being addicted to latching onto you. Its nice now I know but it will make it harder for you later. He will develop a need to have you there or else he can't go to sleep. then you can't get a night off. If you get a cold or something, you wont be able to stay away and then he gets sick. I would recommend also for his health not to feed him when he is full because that can lead to overeating which can lead to obesity later in life. JMO, I am not a professional and only have a 20 month old for experience but that is my person al opijnion and views on it.
    Joshiesxmama

Answer by Joshiesxmama at 7:40 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• yes...perhaps...as even my husband suggests me to nurse him to bed....but the thing that bothers me is...only i can put him to sleep...there comes a time when i m late and he is all alone with his dad...and it's definitly not easy to calm a fussy baby.
    momsaranx

Answer by momsaranx at 7:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I nursed both of mine to sleep for over a year and never had any problems :)
    PB_J

Answer by PB_J at 8:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I nursed my boys till they were 4 years and 3 years old.

My youngest was a fussy baby and did not eat anything but moms milk until he was 11 months old.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 8:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• u could try a pacifir, i do with my breasfedd baby,becouse she just wants to suck it helps her to fall alseep and sooth.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2009