Why do people become atheist?

i dont understand how some people cant believe in God what do you do when your depressed or upset? Why do people become this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Ok why do you belive in god? Is ther proof he is there?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Why do you belive?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Funny thing is, I don't believe in athiests. My brother claimed to be athiest but when he was almost killed in a car accident he went and bought a candle and lit it for the Virgin Mary (we are Catholic). He went to mass for 4 weeks until his GF convinced him it was all in his head.
    I had another friend claim hw was athiest and then as soon as he had problems in his life he started praying and asking for us to pray for him. Lots of ppl claim to be athiest because they don't want to go through the "trouble" of believing but let me tell you when they need God they suddenly want to seek him. JMO
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 5:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Yes exactly!! What does ur family say at ur funeral when ur atheist where do u go?
    And all you anons i just pray that this question touches ur heart bc God is more real than us!! All those atheist say there is no proof! Where do u think the miracle of a child comes from and there is proof in our Dna look it up! I have experienced so much as a christian its beautiful ! God has changed so many cold hearts around me i will never be able to deny him...i only hope he does the same for atheist ..we all have our time i guess theirs hasnt came yet....its sad to say but GIGI is right it usually happens when there is trouble...like celebs john travolta cried out to God the last minutes of his poor son bc he knew the truth in his heart...we all do!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:27 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It's in our DNA? LMFAO!!!! Where is the proof? Links please. And not some pastor or rev site. A real science site.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I believe in God, but for some people it doesn't make sense to them. Just like being Athiest doesn't make sense to you. You really just have to step outside of the box and look at it from someone else's perspective.
    ronisaurus

Answer by ronisaurus at 5:46 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• OK this is news to me, I have never heard of religion being in DNA, religion feels right and takes place at a certain time in your life. If this were true then adopted children from other religions would be really confused. I was just stating what I thought.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 5:50 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It's a combination of things I think. People see what religion can drive people to do if it's taken the wrong way. (Jihad and such) And then there's simply the annoying overly religious people who are constantly shoving their beliefs down other peoples throats. Some people don't want to be associated with those kinds of people.

But mainly, I think it's because they stand by the whole "seeing is believing" thing. There's no solid hard scientific evidence of God. Yes, there are some pretty decent arguments, but none of them are nearly good enough. If they were, then more people would believe in a higher power.
    Regardless, it's impossible to prove either side, so why try to debate about the existence of God anyway? If God is Just, he will show himself in some way before the end.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than of blind-folded fear"
    BatGirl1415

Answer by BatGirl1415 at 6:04 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I'm not atheist, I'm agnostic, but I can definitely understand why someone would be atheist. My husband thinks a belief in God is like taking the imaginary friend one step too far. He also thinks that a belief in a higher power and organized religion has caused more harm than good in the world.

I'm with him on the organized religion part, but when it comes to a belief in a higher power I'm not sure. It's completely possible, but I don't know. When I think of the huge scope of the universe and all the different planets, faiths, people, and possibly other beings from other planets, the concept of just one God does seem a little silly to me. But you never know, and I'm not going to base my life or my decisions on the possibility of what I'm doing might be the right thing to get me a ticket to heaven.

What does bother me, though, is when people say something like atheists don't exist. Cont.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 6:12 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Atheists do exist. My husband would never pray, ever. He'd never enter a church for religious reasons. He simply doesn't have any reason or basis to do any of that. He wasn't raised in a religious family, so it's not even in his "wiring" to pray or even think of going to a God when something goes wrong. Instead, it's in him to analyze and try and solve the problem.

I'm sure Christians don't appreciate people saying that they don't really believe their "Christian" and that they're just weak and need to believe in an imaginary friend to make it through life. So why not show atheists the same respect that you expect to receive? Saying you don't really believe someone is atheist (especially if you don't know that person) is really disrespectful.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 6:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2009