Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Financial Aid?

There is a dentist in my town who offers dental hygienist training in his office on Saturdays. it's a 15 week course and he charges $3995 for it. is there any type of financial aid that can help me cover the costs? I'm also an Army wife... is there any way the Army will pay (or help pay) for it?

any info will be greatly appreciated!

Answer Question

Asked by lacey82606 at 7:32 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Find out if he is associated with a community college, if so, you should be able to apply for a student loan. Talk to him, he may accept payments if you can't get a loan.

    Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:42 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

  • Are you sure it's dental hygiene training? I have been a licensed dental hygienist for 22 years. The education to become a dental hygienist is 2 years college in general education - biology, sociology, comp I and II, etc... and an additional 2 years of dental hygiene education. I was in school 8 AM to 5:30 PM for 5 days a week continuous (no summer breaks) My education costs were over $20,000 in the '80's. The law states you have to take a national dental hygiene exam and also a state hygiene exam.
    There is no way you could learn dental hygiene in 15 days.
    Most people do not realize that dentists are not trained in dental hygiene. Dentists are trained in restorative procedures to repair the oral structure.
    My guess is the dentist is offering dental assistant training. Dental assisting is completely different than dental hygiene and can be learned by on the job training.
    Check the laws in your state first.

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:43 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

  • PrttyMstng is correct. To become a dental hygienist you have to attend an accredited school and take both a national and state board exam. The dental hygienist is a licensed health care provider.

    A dental assistant in some states can be trained in a dental office and become certified. Other states require a dental assistant to become licensed.

    Look up your states dental board for requirements in your state. You might also find that taking the course at a community college will be less expensive for dental assisting than what this doctor is offering. Dental hygiene on the other hand is going to be much more expensive and a longer course.

    As a dentist, the education in dental school is very basic for hygiene. In my opinion, it's not enough education to taught hygiene by a dentist.

    Know the state laws before you waste your money.


    Answer by momdentist at 9:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

  • I know there is a way you can use a VA loan for school, or a GI bill, I would go on post and ask they usually all have a student information area, like here it was at waller hall (sp) Good Luck!!!

    Answer by mrsbailey05 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

  • I looked up the laws in Georgia (the state on your profile). Make sure the course that is being offered is state approved - otherwise it will be a waste of money. In Georgia, you can take a dental assisting course at a community college for around $2500 and get financial aid. That will alow you to take the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) By being certified with DANB, you will be able to work as an assistant in most states.
    I'm licensed as a dental hygienist in Florida and it is illegal for me to practice in Georgia without obtaining a license in Georgia. If it were that easy, I would have moved a long time ago because there are very few job openings anywhere in the US for dental hygienists right now.
    If I wanted to obtain my license in any other state I would have to take boards again (about $1500 for the national board and each state board about $1000) The exam cost are separate from the education.

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 10:42 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

  • In order to get any financial aid, including student loans, you have to be enrolled in an accredited college, either in class or online.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

  • you cant learn dental hygenist postition thru a dentist teaching it like a course, its not accredited and you cant pass the tests. Recheck what the class is exactly . And tyfry is right, ubless you are registered with a college or university, you cannot use their financial aid or scholorship programs.The army should have something posted about financial help at a college, but i doubt they would pay out money to some random dentist....sorry

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.