How will taxing utility companies help climate change?

Won't they go back to business as usual and just charge the consumer more?
Could someone who supports the cap and trade tell me why this is a good idea?

I won't be able to afford more energy efficient appliances and home improvement. So, I won't be able to reduce my energy. What is the logic here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Grace, and there is many credible scientist that believe the opposite. How come you believe some and not others?

What makes one argument more true than the other? Speaking for myself, I think there is more than ONE argument... But why is it that the Obama admin and congress will NOT recognize the Natural argument for climate change? If they would allow an actual DEBATE before they propose MASSIVE SPENDING, don't you think that would have allowed THE PEOPLE to feel better about the choices made? But NOOOOOOO, they have to take a 1000 page bill, add 300 pages of amendment at 3am, then Expect a VOTE in less than 12 hours of releasing.. WTF is that?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• mostly to make the investors wealthier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Logic?! There isn't any! That's what is so wrong with this bill! It's one thing to impose restrictions on businesses that pollute on a grand scale, but affecting the comforts of the private homeowner, is taking things a bit too far!!

The California Energy Commission has recently proposed a requirement that any new or modified heating or air conditioning system must include a programmable communicating thermostat (PCT) whose settings can be remotely controlled by government authorities.

http://townhall.com/columnists/WalterEWilliams/2008/01/16/tyranny_update

Since the Cap & Trade (aka Climate Change Bill) was written by CA legislatures and rammed through Congress by Cali's own Pelosi, ALL of us can expect this to become reality should the Senate agree!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It won't it will just raise our bills. Follow the money, who is benefiting from the tax?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:23 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Gee, and the government estimates it will raise prices less than $200 a year, while my electric co-op says it will actually raise prices by about $1200 a year. Who do I believe, the government, or the company who is actually billing me? That's an easy one. NOT the government!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:47 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Seriously mancos!!! When are people going to wake up and realize the government does NOT have their best interests in mind--when they get their first $1000+ electric bill?!

Wait and see, I guess....wait and see..... (sarcasm)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It is for reducing emmissions--toxic emmissions from Industry. HAve you ever seen a yellowish,foggy looking sky> It is mostly from pollution-emmissions....it is bad for your health. I would think it is a good idea to reduce emmissions. That's what the Cap and Trade thing is all about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Lori, when it hits, people will complain about the electric companies make a profit. They won't see the government in it at all. Except it doesn't work for me, because I belong to a co-op. The profits belong to the members of the co-op. If the co-op says this will cost XXXX, it probably will. I can check the figures myself. *sigh* I used to consider myself middle class, but I'm growing poorer by the day.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:07 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• "It is for reducing emmissions--toxic emmissions from Industry. HAve you ever seen a yellowish,foggy looking sky> It is mostly from pollution-emmissions....it is bad for your health. I would think it is a good idea to reduce emmissions. That's what the Cap and Trade thing is all about."

No, really? That's why there is a provision for ACORN? What has that to do with pollution? And do you understand the TRADE part, where you can continue to pollute, but BUY yourself a carbon credit? Maybe you should READ the bill. It's not all about pollution.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:12 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I cant afford to buy anything to make my appliances run more energy effectionat.

I'm out of money.....I gotta pay the mortgage.....pay my bills....put food on the table. No vacation this year either had to cancel our reservations.

Pretty much what my household will be doing is, turning the thermostat up in the summer and down further in the winter, to afford my bills.

I'm getting used to having just barely enough money.....but still "life is good"
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2009