how do i get my 2 1/2 yr old daughter to sleep in a bed while on vacation?

she is still in her big crib for the next couple of months but we need to travel in a few weeks. i'm dreading getting her to sleep without her crib. she's a great sleeper otherwise.

amelia_caitlin

Asked by amelia_caitlin at 10:04 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• most hotels have cribs, you just have to ask
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Take a pack & play as a plan B. You won't have to wonder where she is (even if she CAN climb out of it), she's likely to stay in it at night for the security of being enclosed. We went out of town recently, and this is what we did, even though he's been in his 'big boy' bed for several months now, he slept in his pack & play (padded with his blanket & pilow from his bed (for smell & familiarity) and no worries for me! :) He was 26 m/o at that time. Plus the pack & play makes a great "catch all" for everything that clutters your room that you want her to stay OUT of, during the day (extra bags, toys, clothes, etc.) making your room look semi-clean. LOL! (You know toddlers have to have their stuff, and don't forget the "lovies"). LOL! Good luck and happy vacationing!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:38 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I just thought of this besides the pack & play as a plan B (which I would still do), if she' s a more mature, verbal type of toddler then you could talk up a the place that you are staying has "special beds" for BIG girls! She could even "practice" at home in a "Big Girl or Princess or Dora or whatever she's into" bed. Then for the trip, buy her what will eventually be her toddler/twin size bedding and take it with you on vacation (surprise?), and if she's does well, she can get to take it home....IDK, something like that, maybe. or mixing that up a bit, get her the new bedding at home, and then take her bedding with you on vacation so that she can have "her bed" somewhere else. Could be way off, just rambling thoughts....good luck, though! At least you have a several weeks to think about it.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Honestly, in my opinion i'd attempt to get her to lay down and sleep in the bed, and when it didn't work I'd give in and let her fall asleep with us. It's vacation, you don't want to spend all that time stressing about going to bed! She'll pass out if you are going to bed with her. HAVE FUN!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 12:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2009