Why am I always told by Christians to 'read my Bible' to get answers to my questions?

I HAVE read it a few dozen times, went to Bible school and Bible study well into my adult years. Obviously, I found no answers there, or I wouldn't be asking questions. In fact, I found more questions than answers.

Just because you, a Christian, claim to see an answer in some verse does not mean I or anyone else who is not a believer will. You see what you want because that's what you've been TAUGHT to see. You know a certain verse means what it does because you've been TAUGHT that's what it means.

I would love to hear what a person, who has never learned anything about the Christian God or Bible thinks certain versus mean to them. I'd love to see if what they come up with would be any different than those who have gone to church and have been taught about relgion and the bible.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are many sources of information to find answers to life's tough questions. There are as many beliefs as there are individuals. The mind is like a map and answering all questions with the bible is like living in a small town and never leaving. It's easy and safe when you think you have all the answers. I don't think anyone has all the answers. not even close, we still have alot to learn...
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 12:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• There is just so much more out there. why limit your whole belief into one book?Spread your wings and fly, try The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 10:23 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Maybe those people are just trying to help you because they can see the answer in a verse? Perhaps the people who are leaving those responses are honestly trying to help and they quote the bible because that is where they find the answers to their questions.

Now if they are being condescending about it then I can see why you would be mad. But otherwise I would tend to think that they are not trying to be rude, that is just the way they live their own lives.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:29 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I find it amusing that someone will use a verse to discredit a scientific claim, that you could easily manipulate the verse to fit it into the scientific answers.. ex.. I seen people say the earth was covered in water when it was formed.. actually it was so dry there was very little water on earth.. but you could explain it away by saying it was metaphorical for liquid.. since the earth was covered in Lava.

The same for many verses/stories in the bible.. if you take them literally, you can discredit the bible.... but when you take them apart, you can fill in how or why this was written this way..  the problem is, most people that read the bible don't bother to see these little things they could use.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:32 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• "Now if they are being condescending about it then I can see why you would be mad. "

they were being that way in the deleted post to the OP..

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:33 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• What would you want them to say? Could it be they don't have the answer so are directing you to the source?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• anon, no they aren't. They are insinuating I must be stupid for not seeing the answers in the versus they direct me to. They fault me because I can't come to the same conclusion they have, and sometimes I feel they actually hate me for being a former Christian and turning my back on God. To them, they just can't undersand how I can read that book, not think it's totally true and that my heart must closed to God or Satan is attacking me, hindering me from understanding.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:44 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• And alot of them don't seem to understand that the questions we have come from the very bible they are telling us to go back to. Plus, I know for a fact there are verses in the bible that I could use to back even MY religion. See how it can be twisted?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• You said, "I would love to hear what a person, who has never learned anything about the Christian God or Bible thinks certain versus mean to them."

-----If they didn't know "anything" about God and the Bible then it seems pretty obvious to me at least that they would be much more likely to misinterpret a verse, wouldn't you think?? The reason why people refer others back to the Bible is because that is what we as Christians rely on for our own questions. .
    sheriskidmore

Answer by sheriskidmore at 10:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Probably because those of us who read God's word with an open mind and heart know for a fact that the answers to any question mankind could ever have is between the pages of that book. That is why it is the best-selling book of all time, always has been,always will be.Why it is the most interpreted book into more languages than any other,and why it will be here long after every other book on the planet is gone. But, as I said, a person has to read it with an open mind,and open heart, open to what God is saying to us. NOT what we want Him to say, or to try and take verses out of context, twist them to our own meanings,and make them more or less than they are meant to be.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2009