What side to use?

Ok, I am trying to make sure hubby has really nice meals this week due to work sucking extra hard this week. So tonight I am making chicken that is pan seared and then baked laying on pasta sauce with a cheese & spinach mixture on top. What would be a good side to go with this? I was think baked potatoes but we did that last night and I like them way too much so I think they go with everything. We usually just do potatoes of some sort or pasta roni. Thanks!!!

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 10:42 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Well, you're using pasta sauce, so I think a nice pasta would go well. Angel hair, maybe. If there's enough sauce, you could spoon some onto it, or if not, just melted butter and some garlic, maybe a little freshly grated parm cheese.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• That's really nice to do that for your husband... I do special meals for mine too. The chicken dish sounds really good. What about red skinned potatoes with butter & parsley and some garlic green beans? My family love both of those and they make a nice presentation too.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• if you want to do potatoes (cos i think the pasta idea above would be great) you can do scalloped potatoes. i use red potatoes since you don't have to peel them, and then slice them super thin so they cook faster. and while that's baking, you can get the chicken ready. or, do baked potato chunks with parmesan cheese and complimentary herbs sprinkled on top- just toss the potatoes in olive oil first.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Squashed Macaroni
    This sweet, creamy sauce is made from winter squash, a good source of vitamin A. The tahini and parsley add calcium. It's a nutritious alternative to cheese or tomato sauce.
    • 2 cups cooked winter squash (butternut, hubbard, pumpkin, etc.) fresh or frozen
    • 1 1/2 cups milk (plant or animal)
    • 1 tablespoon miso
    • 2 tablespoons tahini
    • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes (lots of B vitamins, tastes cheesy); you could substitute grated parmesan
    • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    • Black pepper to taste
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
    • 1 pound whole grain elbow macaroni, cooked
    • 1/2 cup walnuts, minced or ground
    Puree squash, milk, miso, tahini, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and parsley in blender or food processor until smooth. Pour sauce into medium-size pan, and warm over low heat while

Answer by rkoloms at 1:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Like the recipe above, this is a main course at our meatless house.
    Emerald Noodles
    1 pkg. any kind of linguini (i use whole grain) cooked and drained (add a bit of sesame oil to keep from sticking)
    sauce:
    1/2-3/4 cup nut butter (you can use sunflower seed butter if you have allergy concerns
    1 bunch cilantro
    2-3 (to taste really) cloves garlic minced
    1 bunch or less green onions
    1 tsp fresh grated ginger
    2-3 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
    red pepper flakes (for spicy) (I use Asian chili paste)
    soy sauce or tamari or braggs to taste
    1 cup frozen spinach
    blend all together in food processor, add to noodles stir in peas, broccoli, or any veg you want (if you have picky eaters, blend them into the sauce...kids tend to like the greenness of it)

Answer by rkoloms at 1:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Cook some angel hair pasta. In a skillet, melt some real butter with a teaspoon or so of good quality olive oil. Sautee some finely minced garlic in it. Toss the pasta with the butter mixture. Meanwhile, take a french loaf and slice it in half. In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup softened butter with 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tsp italian seasoning, and 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese. Spread this on the bread, and toast in the oven while your chicken is cooking til browned on top. Lay the spaghetti on the plate, top with the chicken, and add a couple slices of garlic bread on the side.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2009