I am a Black mother of a White/Black 10 month old daughter who is very light skinned...I have a question about sun screen?

My doctor has recommended I begin using sun screen because we live in a very sunny area. My question is, does sun screen prevent tanning or does it just block out the harmful sun rays? Please forgive my ignorance, I have never used it myself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think it stops from tanning b/c its blocking the rays that cause the tanning. personaly i dont use sun block ion my kids b/c the tan really easily unless we go to flordia b/c down there they always burn. i use a spf 35 or higher i have use spf 50 and that really works u can be out in the sun and dont have to be worried about getting burnt
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Sunscreen scatters the rays of the sun and protects not only from sunburn but also from skin cancers.Some more information below...

Some sunscreens protect us from the two types of damaging UV radiation: UV-A and UV-B. Both UV-A and UV-B cause sunburns and damaging effects such as skin cancer. Ultraviolet radiation is broken into three types of wavelengths: * UV-A: This is the longest wavelength and is not absorbed by the ozone. It penetrates the skin deeper than UV-B. * UV-B: Responsible for sunburns. It is partially blocked by the ozone layer. * UV-C: This is totally absorbed by the earth's atmosphere; we encounter it only from artificial radiation sources.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/sunscreen.html

SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It does both. But really look into it. It also protects the skin from absorbing vitamin D. Any person with darker skin naturally has a difficulty with that and a deficiancy can be serious.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I am the OP- is there a product that will allow tanning while providing sun protection?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I'm mixed B/W and despite using sunscreen I always tan, just slower than if I had gone without sunscreen. It really depends on your kid though. My cousin (also B/W) doesn't tan what-so-ever and stays the same mocha color year round.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:00 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I'm black and I use sun screen and my kids are mixed (B/W) and I always put sunscreen on them. They still tan just not as fast. When they are playing outside all day, especially in the water, I make sure to re-apply it throughout the day. I'm too worried about skin cancer to not put it on them. I was taught when I was younger that since I am black I don't need it. That is not true. It's less common for us to get skin cancer but still possible.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• it doesn't matter what color you are dark or light you should be using sunscreen- even darker people can get skin cancer I have child who has olive skin who doesn't burn & I put it on her-
    better safe than sorry
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I also have a biracial daughter and my Mom is a dermatology nurse. Sunscreen should be used for ALL type of skin colors. It helps prevent sun burns and most importantly .......skin cancer!
    Anonymous

• I agree sunscreen should be used whether you are black, orange, purple, white-you get my point. We are Italian and we use sunscreen and still get nice color. I put alot on my daughter in the summer and she still gets a very nice tan as does my husband.I use it sparingly, but I'm also not out in the sun that much as I live on the East coast, but yes your daughter should still get color. I use the 50spf of waterbabies.
    Anonymous

• they stiil get tanned just not as bad and they dont get burned,even on dark skined people should use it,they still can get sun burned.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2009