What was going on in your life when you were 'saved'?

Was there distress? Trauma? Depression? Drug/alcohol abuse? The death of a loved one?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:50 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was 12 or 13 when I was "saved". The quotations are there for a reason, because right after I was sat down and told that had I not just asked to be saved, my soul would have gone to hell. Then I sat through a lecture about my life being corrupt beforehand and that the sin I lived would no longer be accepted. It was the weirdest situation and it freaked me out. I left the church shortly after due to several terrible experiences. For a few years my life was just a huge mess. But then I came back to God on a personal level and asked for forgiveness and to have a relationship with Him again. Since then I've studied and grown in my personal faith, a faith that has no ties to church.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I wasn't really living, I was just existing. Living by the world's ways, and knowing I was more unhappy,and lost than I ever thought I could be. Yes, my family was a source of joy for me,but I had done so many bad things to them, none of us were settled or happy. When I got saved, I had literally hit my rock bottom. Everyone has a rock bottom, and when that is hit, the only thing a person can do is look up,and start climbing back up from there. I wanted to die, just to make all the bad stuff stop. I now know that was the enemy trying to take me from what God had planned for my life. Once I was saved, everything about me transformed. Was it overnight? No, but from the moment I accepted Jesus, I knew something was different inside me. I no longer felt empty. My family noticed the changes, my co-workers did, and I did. I knew I was a new person,that God was in control,and I no longer lived in the world. I wouldn't go back ever!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I was only 5 yrs old when I got saved.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I was suicidal (the way I had spent most of my life). I said I would give it a week. Well I did. That was in 1996.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Nothing. I've never been "saved." I've never prayed the sinner's prayer nor felt the need to. Some of my first words were prayers to God. I learned to read the Bible fluently by the age of three. There has not been a time in my life where I did not believe in God or Jesus Christ. My parents are religious but there was nothing religious about the way I was as a baby. I was spiritual and my faith was absolutely pure. I was also clairvoyant and saw spirits.

Since then, I've been bogged down with the "rituals" and "rules" of fellow believers. I've lost my ability to see anything and have questioned my faith due to the rules and rituals that people pushed on me my entire life (I went to a Christian school with a variety of denominations among students/teachers). IMHO actual "religion" dowses the flames of relationship with God and spirituality. (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Now that I've moved out and am on my own (well married, with a kid and on my own lol), I am out from under the "thumb" of the beliefs of people in authority over me. I am slowly reviewing what I've been taught and throwing it out if it is not pertinent to my salvation or enforce love and forgiveness to others. Does that mean that everything I've been taught is wrong or a bad idea? No. But the rituals, judgements, misinterpretation of the Bible and rules are distracting from God IMHO. It is a shame that I was born with such a pure conscience and since then, my conscience has been forever changed by various "rules" being hammered down my throat over my lifetime.

Although I believed at a time before I even have memories of, I still had a rough time here or there. Most of my suffering, however, was at the hands of fellow Christians. I believe God absolutely brought me out of that.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• "I pondered the direction of my life, and I turned to follow your statutes." Ps. 119

I might use more than one box. But before I begin I want to state that I did not become a Christian because religion is the opium of the people. God had been working on my heart for a long time without me even realizing it until I looked back later.

It wasn't because I didn't know better either, I studied and practiced other religions and was what I would have considered a very "spiritual" person.

I was slowly coming to a place of realizing that Jesus was real and I needed to surrender my life to Him. But I was refusing to let go of all my sins. I was dating an athiest and I really liked him, but in the back of my head I began to realize that if we had a family he would tell our children that God was a fairy tale. And I would be stuck at home while he went out to strip clubs. I had a feeling I should end it before . . .
    cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I ended up married to him. But it is hard to let go. Anyways, he dumped me. I was alone. I had no friends because we had drifted appart after HS. So I went back to the bottle, but now I couldn't even enjoy my drunkenness because for some weird reason I began trowing up and having hangovers for the first time in my life (I used to be a happy alcoholic).

Then I called my other ex-boyfriend for some distractions, he dumped his GF and picked me up for a date the same day. But it wasn't the same either.

I didn't miss the guy that dumped me because I already knew I didn't want to marry him. It was just that I was begining to realize that everything that I had always used to bring me satisfaction and pleasure was empty. I had never let myself feel that emptiness before because I would just cover it up with another party, another hot guy, another shot of goldschlager. I was succesful in school, at work, and had a great . . .
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I had a great relationship with my parents. I had everything going for me, so there was nothing I could look to and say, this is what you need and you will feel better.

Then I saw an ad in the paper for a young adult study at our church. But I didn't want to go because I don't like going places by myself and I had no one that would be interested to go with me. But I felt like God wanted me to go (in a secular "fate" type way -- anticipating a sign, not a brand new life). I was so uncomfortable, no one was like me! The minister was begining the book of John. It was so interesting and good, that I had to go back just to learn more even though I didn't feel comfortable or have any friends. God would then speak to me about the teaching when I went home, and I saw it reveal to me my life. I looked at my life for the first time, through the lense of the Bible and I knew what I was missing.
    cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:44 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• As I went I saw Jesus, know everything about Nathaniel before Nathaniel even knew Him. I saw that I was in the darkness and I had hated the light because my deeds were evil and I didn't want them exposed. I learned that Jesus knew all man and what was in them, I saw him tell Nicodemus that we are spiritually dead, and we need to be born of the Holy Spirit, I saw that God loved me so much that He gave Jesus to die on my behalf so that I can be born of the Holy Spirit and have eternal life.

Then, we got to chapter 4. And I was already tripping out on all this stuff that is really very spiritually deep. But in Chapter 4 we see the Samaritan woman. I saw myself. I was just like the Samaritan woman. I was immoral, I tried to satisfy my life with the love of handsome guys, I tried to have a fun, party life, I felt uncomfortable around moral people, I thought I was spiritual.

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2009