ok.. this is really bothering me...

my baby is 8 days old..
the hospital told me that she should be waking up every 2-3 hours to eat, or i have to wake her up to eat. She only wakes up on her own once in awhile, but when I wake her up I can't get her out of her deep sleep enough to eat for longer than 5 mins. She just falls back asleep. Also, if I let her, she will sleep almost all through the night. I breastfeed. Should I try pumping and giving the bottle at night? IDK what to do, or if this is normal or what. I don't see the pediatrician till thursday, and idk if they would answer me if i call cuz i havent even met them yet.

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 11:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can call the doctors office if it would make you feel better. I'm assuming your little one was full term with no medical problems since you didn't specify at special circumstances. The hospital told me the same thing with both my children. The doc said both times that there was no need to wake the baby for a feeding. They will let you know when they are hungry. LOL. But you can most certainly call the doc if you want. Congrats on your little one!
    megs1228

Answer by megs1228 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• When a baby is hungry I promise they will let you know. Don't wake her up unless a pediatrician told you to do so for a reason. If you start waking her up it will become a habit for her to wake up at certain times. Baby's will let you know in no uncertain terms what is up with them. Its the way they cry, each cry is different..The reason she doesn't wake up for you is because she is not ready to be up. You will stress yourself out if you do this and worry about her. no question for a pediatrician is worthless.Write all of your questions down and ask away/ Congratulations☺

Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• yeah I had a baby june 5th he could sleep through a hurricane:) try feeding her & when she starts to sleep burp her, rub her back, change her, tickle her, was her face- another words wake her back-up. my baby sometimes looks like he sleeping as he is eating all I do to make sure he is eating is
    gently pull on the bottle to see if he still sucking.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• its NOT true when your baby is new they don't always wake up to eat you must wake her up-
    this was told to me by a PEDIATRICIAN at the hospital & I have three girls 10, 6, & 2 plus I just had a boy june 5th so I know
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Every baby is differnt. Yours may value you slept more then food. If she is gaining weight and sleeping well then count your blessing. My oldest slept 8 hours as a new born and nursed like crazy during the day. My youngest woke up like a clock every 3 hours for food. As long as she is gaining weight, (stop by the peds to check or buy an scale) then don't worry. A bottle isn't going to help any more then you breastfeeding at night. You might just have super milk. You can also weight her before a feeding then agian after to see how many ounces she has had eaten. Find a local La Leche League, that will be a wealth of knowledge and support. Good luck to you and Congrats.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My daughter was a preemie, so I had to wake her up to eat every 3-4 hours until she was like 7 months old. My daughter could really sleep through anything. She spent her first 31 days in the NICU, so she learned to sleep through other babies crying, bright lights, all these machines beeping, and people talking all the time. What I had to do to get her awake enough to eat was take her into a bright room, I would change her diaper first, and just play with her for a couple minutes. She would usually wake up enough. To keep her from going to sleep while feeding I would move her around, stop and burp her, I just never let her get back into a deep sleep until she was done with her bottle.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 1:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• All babies are different and i think she will be fine till Thursday. If your newborn doesn't wake after 3 1/2 hrs I'd wake her. If she isn't gaining weight then you have to feed her more otherwise you could go to 4 hrs. It's all about gainin gweight in newborns. Talk to the Pedi when you go.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• i also breastfeed and my baby was like that when she was born,they actualy poked her feet with a needle to try to wake her up but it didnt work,they tried to tell me all kinds of things,they even tryed to keep my baby and not bring her back to me cuz she was the only baby there and they were biord on 3rd shift,they did everything i didnt want them to,ur baby will eat when she wants to
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• thanks for all of the great answers! she lost 8% of her weight, but we went back for a weight check 48 hours later and she gained almost all of it back. It could be in my head, but she already feels heavier than yesterday lol. The nurse told me i have an "abundant" supply of milk.. so maybe she is getting ALOT in the 5 mins she is eating. Thanks again!
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 2:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• As long as she isn't a preemie or jaundice then let that baby sleep. They will wake up when they are hungry. Personally mine were slightly jaundice so I did wake them up after 3 hours to feed, but that was because of the jaundice and for no other reason.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2009