How hard is breastfeeding really? How do I stand up for my decision to BF?

Some people I talk to kinda laugh at me when I tell them my plans to exclusively breastfeed. They say "Oh that would be nice but it hurts bad or its too hard or time consuming" "I couldnt even do it, you probably wont be able to either". What do I say to stand up for my decision yet be tasteful?

IheartWyatt09

Asked by IheartWyatt09 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Just smile and say "it's my choice". End of discussion. Time consuming? As opposed to sterilizing bottles, shopping for formula, mixing formula, storing bottles, washing bottles? BF is quick and easy and less time consuming. It's natural and helps the bonding process. I enjoyed it with all three of my kids. Even if you don't do it for long you have given your baby the greatest gift you can give (besides love) to provide them with a healthy start and immune them against many things in life (other than ignorance from others who don't mind their own business). Just do what you want and be proud of your decision.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Do nothing. Why should you have to defend your choice to do what is best for your baby?
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:34 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I really want to be successful at breastfeeding. I just hate it when people talk to me like I'm pathetic and blind as a first time mom, they act like I don't know anything. I am not stupid, I read my books and talk to my doctors, I do know whats going on and have a concept on what to expect after pregnancy.
    IheartWyatt09

Answer by IheartWyatt09 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• BFing doesn't have to hurt. If your baby is latched on properly it SHOULDN'T hurt. Just shrug your shoulders and ignore them. People just like to tear other mothers down so they can't do what they wouldn't.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• No matter what you do no matter which sex a person is or what is happening in any one's life at any age, others' opinions rudely extremely rudely will be said and sometimes often, other times randomly, nice or complimentary opinions will be said. It's life cause there's no way in our world to enforce the practice of respect amongst the ages and life situations.

Even if you tell your choice with or with out explanation, others will like it or not. Do not be drawn in to arguments. That's what fuels fires of emotions and words. State your choice or that you'll decide your self and end the conversation by walking away.

I exclusively bf my first 2 babies for over six months and had many older relatives very very upset about it. I let them rant scream and I smiled walked away doing what I wanted to do. My third baby started out bf and then needed formula to grow better. Those old people still screamed I
    still walked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• You don't have to stand up for anything. By the same token, you don't have to throw it in others faces either. I have heard women say, the enjoy it. Others hate it. Some people feel it does bog them down with having to be with the baby 24/7. Others don't mind at all.

I personally, hated it. I wanted to work and felt that it was too time consuming for me.

What you should be aware of is this: If you choose to breast feed, it's a personal choice. It's also a personal issue. So, choose to use a private area to breast feed in. If you whip out your boob in the middle of the mall, YES, you are going to have issues. No one wants you to feed your child this way. It's a personal thing. Keep it private.

Most bottle fed babies are on a schedule. So, get your child on a schedule too. If you need to feed the kid at the mall, go somewhere private. I cannot stress this enough. PLEASE
    Anonymous

• A lot of other people have excuses why they don't breastfeed. I had no problems with it and I started lactating a month ago! (Not due till Sept). I have a cousin who is a little competitive with me and she said with her 1st kid she cracked and blead, the 2nd was too unhealthy (premie), the 3rd she didn't even try because it's too much work. (Okay, get up in the middle of the night to make a bottle or just stick your baby on your boob, I think BF is easier) I had my daughter vaginally and she came to soon for an epideral. The cousin didn't even try. Her mother went as far as to tell me that she did it the right way. It's rediculous. I think there are medical reasons not to, but it's not hard and some people are just selfish. They even have test strips for your milk if you want to drink a little, so what's soo hard about it. And I used a pump and saved my milk for outings. You'll be fine! Use Lanisoh cream and breast pads
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• And don't listen to horror stories about doing it in public. If you wear an easy access top and put a blanket or a cover over you, you're fine. It only becomes a problem when there's a lady with it hanging out feeding a 5 yr old like a pig. That's gross!
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It is your desision just as it was thiers. You don't need to defend it. Breasfeeding is convenent, easy (once you get the hang of it) always just the right temp, always on tap, and 100% digestable. And has antibodies. Breastfeed babies are less likly to get sick and usually recover faster (but still can get very sick). They are also bigger since the food is 100% diegestable, mine both doubled there weight in 3 months were 20 lbs by 4 months. Also it is custom made for your child. When my youngest had a very bad cold, the milk was very watery becuase that is what she needed, during growth spurts it becomes very thick with fat.
    Breastfeeding is a very personal desision and what ever one decsides that is what is best for thier family.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• "No one wants you to feed your child this way. It's a personal thing. Keep it private. "

I just have to comment how WRONG this is. I LOVE it when I see some one nursing in public and I know I'm not the only one. I'm not the one who stares and gives dirty looks. If I notice it, I smile to myself and keep on walking, feeling great that there are other mothers out there NOT swayed by people that have issues with something so natural.
    Anonymous