Christians please...spin off from another question

I was reading responses.. about how water came to Earth. I've seen the bible verse.. however i want your take with how it fits into the scientific reasoning. (because scientifically the Earth didn't have a lot of water until much later. It was covered in Lava.. theoretically they are debating what caused the water to multiply on Earth, some say it was comets, other same it was the mixture of chemicals, etc etc). Regardless of how it came to earth.. I want to know how you feel it came by showing how it could biblically be translated to fit into the scientific theories. (note: not trying to convert or anything, just curious) links for scientific theories posted below.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 11:34 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• A lot of Christians don't use the Bible the way it was meant to be used. Unfortunately, this means that many will often put God's Creation at odds with God's Word - which is inherently impossible since they are both of God and cannot contradict each other - but man is free to think has he will and interpret as he will and continue to think about things that are beyond his knowing for as long as he wants, even though the Bible itself says to stop wasting time on things we can never know and start focusing on our relationship with God. Alas...we are all human and have a tendency to waste our time, I guess. :) But, of course, all this is just IMO. What could a humble human like me possibly know about the creation of the earth, much less the specific details of when and where the water arrived??? What could ANY of us KNOW?
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• http://www.history.com/video.do?name=How_the_Earth_Was_Made

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news008.html

(Throughout its history, Earth's water has increased in volume due to biological processes. In the early seas of Earth, hydrogen sulfide would have been in great supply, which, when reacted with carbon dioxide from the atmosphere during photosynthesis in sulfide-reducing bacteria, would have produced hydrogen, sulfur, and water. Many geologists believe that the majority of Earth's water generated through this process.)

(above is a summarization of the on link)

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• history channel

nasa link

sorry, the links above are copy paste because the full text screen wouldn't work, so here they are again.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:37 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I'm going to get off now.. I have the house to clean, and my DD will be waking up soon from her nap since her cousin will be over shortly.. I will check back later.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Honestly? The book of Genesis is not a history book about earth; it's a history book about our relationship with God. It's descriptions of how earth was created show that God is our creator but was not written to instruct us in HOW earth was created - only in that the source of all Creation is God. I still don't understand why people choose to use the Bible for geological history rather than spiritual history, which is what it was written as - to tell us about our history with God, not the history of earth. The Bible was not written for scientific reasoning - it was written for Spiritual reasoning.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Good answer, JP'sMommy. Best I have seen yet here at CM. ;-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Hi Hazeldove! I can't do it right now. I need to sign off and work on my study for tonight before church. But I will come back to it tonight : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• a good point JP.. but a lot of Christians don't use the bible like that... they use it literally. example. Genesis: 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

1: 2 Now the earth was [a] formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

I was curious how they would explain how the scientific theories of water fit into the biblical theories.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I mean I can see how it could fit.. there are several different ways.

ex. water could be more of a mediphor for liquid (since lava covered the earth at that point).
    or it could be explained later in the texts 6 And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." Genesis1:7 So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.9 And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good.

in otherwords meaning, he stood over the little bit of water that was bubbling up to the surface, thus expanding it in these texts...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• or if the the water he explains wasn't nearly what it is now, and didn't come later until the flood (which has several jump off theories to it as well).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2009