Is it ok to widen the hole on the bottle-nipple?

It seems as if my infant is having trouble getting enough formula at one time through the nipple of the bottle. When I used a nipple with a bigger hole she took it down really fast. I don't know if a bigger hole means more air swallowed? I def dont want that...that = gas! Anyone have suggestions?

Thnx!

Jenn

KendsleysMom

Asked by KendsleysMom at 11:45 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did when she was a little older. Just be careful and test it because if it gets to big it could choke your baby.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• They have differrent size nipples for each age group too, so if it's not the right nipple, you can go to walmart and buy a different size! Uggh, it's been so long I almost forgot about that!
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• try a stage 2 nipple bc its a little faster. i always had to have mylicon bc my little boy had gas all the time! so idk if it would make her have gas but try to get some mylicon just in case.
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Yeah, be careful of the choking thing. That happened to me.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I used a toothpick and it worked great.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 4:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My baby had acid reflux at 2 months old so the doc told me to add cereal to her bottle. He told me to widen the hole with a hot metal safety pin. Just heat it on the stove, stick it in the existing hole and hold it there for about 30 sec. Hope that helps, I know how expensive it gets to buy all new nipples:)
    MISTYLYNNLVN

Answer by MISTYLYNNLVN at 2:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• It's not good to widen the hole of a bottle's nipple. It could crack or break somehow and little pieces could get in your baby's system and you don't want that. Really, how hard is it to buy a nipple with a bigger hole? You can even get the generic brands as long as you're positive they fit the bottle your baby uses.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 4:08 AM on Jun. 29, 2009