For those of you in WIC, do the standard 9 cans of formula last you til your next month of coupons?

Im on WIC and im on the maximum amount of cans of formual per month but we run out early (each can lasts like two days) and we dont really have the money to buy more formula.

babySTAR09

Asked by babySTAR09 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to have WIC the with my first and no it never lasted. Do you have a Sams Club in your town? They have enourmous cans of formula that will last a long time and also they have HUGE packs of diapers. It's a real money saver to go there.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:57 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• i always had to buy a couple more
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• no I allways have to buy more
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• WE GET 12 CAN AND HE ALWAYS HAS LIKE 3 LEFT EVERYMONTH
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I didn't start formula until she was about 7 months and I went back to work. At that point, she was eating more foods and it did last.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• With my daghter it never did. But just like the first answer, they have huge cans at wholesale places like Bj's and Costco....
    luckeymommy

Answer by luckeymommy at 12:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• WIC is supplementary. It's not supposed to get you through the entire month. You're supposed to use your own money. If you can't buy formula, and you CAN breastfeed (even if you need help), that's a better option.
    By the way, WIC is LOWERING the amount of formula people will be getting, come October.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 1:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• RanaAurora is right - WIC isn't there to completely feed your child, just help - the intent is for parents to have to buy more every month. They intentionally don't give anyone enough because they're not meant to be the sole provider.

That said, when I bought extra, I bought the Parent's Choice brand at Wal-Mart. One child I never needed to buy more. One child I had to buy a little extra.

THAT said, how the heck is one can only lasting you 2 days? Even with my biggest eater, a can lasted 3.5 days - that's the one I had to buy at least 3 extra cans a month for. If a can's only lasting 2 days, you're mixing it up too rich or your kid's too old and needs more solids.
    Anonymous

• No surprise Rana is RIGHT!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 5:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I go through 1 can in about 2-3 days. So no, 9 cans doesn't last. My DD does fine on the Parents Choice formula... it's a lot cheaper. If you go to their website, they'll send you a free sample.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2009