Were you baptized?

I'm getting baptized tonight. So many people have said how they felt instantly changed or different. Did this happen to you too? How did you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Congratulations! I remember feeling clean and new.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 12:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I was a baby when I was baptised. An infant Baptism is an invocation of the Holy Spirit to dwell with a child and bring the child, some day, to choose Jesus as their Lord and savior and invite the Holy Spirit themselves (it does not save their soul). It is also a dedication of the child to be raised in the church and the Christian faith and acceptance by the congregation to do their part to support the child and parents spiritually. Do I think the Holy Spirit dwelled with me and lead me on my spiritual path? Absolutely.

I wasn't Baptised as an adult so I can't answer from that POV. Baptism represents the forgiveness of sins (my pastor says that it DOES forgive sins, I disagree). I can imagine that anyone experiencing the symbolism of the forgiveness of sins so physically (complete immersion I assume?) would feel different. If not only due to the Holy Spirit but for psychological and emotional reasons as well.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• No I was not. I have done 2 out of 3 of my children. My little one still needs it.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I have not been baptized & won't be, but I have been through transformative experiences & my freinds who were baptized as adults have told me enough about their experience for me to see the similarities. The reason for a public ceremony such as a baptism, besides bonding through common experience, is to make you feel a change psychologically. If you allow yourself, you will feel invigorated, ethereal, spiritual, eternal, empowered, in short really awesome. You will probably feel the presence of your God more directly too. I hope you both enjoy the experience & let it inspire you to continue your spiritual growth.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I have. I was in between churches looking for a home church. The local COC were so desparate to get me baptized so I went along. I knew I was saved they were just campaigning. Its an outward action of a spiritual rebirth. Its an obedient action.
    Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• baptizing didn't make me feel any different, as far as being 'cleaned'--salvation did that. what baptism does is symbolic of burying the old man (or woman, in this case), and resurrecting a new life, one free of sin and condemnation. look at it as a physical act of 'wiping the slate clean'. its also a "public showing"/sharing of your new creation in Christ among your 'brothers/sisters'. it doesn't prove anything; it simply is a following of one of Christ's actions, like holy communion/feet washing-some churches refer to it as 'ordination', meaning its an action making you one of the body of Christ/Church. however, just because it is symbolic, doesn't make it any less significant. congratulations on your decision! be strong and encouraged in your new life!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I got baptized when I was 23. I didn't feel really changed until much latter. I remember coming up out of the water thinking, "what the heck am I doing?" It hit harder when I was asked to give testimony and I knew right then and there I couldn't lie about it so I said nothing. What could I say? It wasn't what I expected. I expected a lot to happen and I left humbled. I've never been the same after that. It did change me, although slowly and subtly. But it's been for the better. :)
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Yes. It is an acknowledgment that old things are passed away and now you are a new creature in Christ.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I did it when i was a tween and the only thing I felt was wet. I didn't change after either. All it seemed to do was make me question even more of what I was being told. I don't even practice that religion anymore, so, for me, it just didn't work the way it was "supposed to."
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I was 2 weeks old and had no say in the matter.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2009