I need help getting my 5 year old daughter to wipe her own little bottom after going to the bathroom.

My 5 year old will not seem to wipe her own bottom after she goes poo-poo. She says she can't do, and it does seem a bit hard for her to reach back there. But she is starting kindergarten in August. What happens if she goes poo-poo in school? I know the teachers can't help her, and I don't want her to have poop on her bottom all day. We have tried everything we can think of. Of course I am not going to tell her unless she does it the poop will stay on her. Because that is way too cruel and I know if poop gets in her other parts it can cause an infection. So she knows that someone will always wipe her. How can I get her to do it on her own? She also forgets to wipe herself after she pees a lot of the time. i have tried to tell her that not wiping her pee will irritate her, and she tries, but sometimes she just forgets I guess. Help!!! Has anyone else dealt with this?

TeriMelisa

Asked by TeriMelisa at 12:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I also got the kandoo wipes. They do help a bit. However, my little girl is six and Im going thru the same prob. in ways. When im around, she wants me to help, when she is at school or pa n grammas: she wipes on her own without asking.
    I tried to "refuse" helping her, but it only made her throw fits and make it a bigger deal then it should be. Try saying "I Bet you can't wipe all by yourself! Don't you do it! I bet you can't."
    And she will want to do it to prove you wrong. I say that and it works!!!! (I even say it when she is eating and won't eat something she "doest like"". Its reverse phycology (spell that!). Try it out! ALSO, there are books out there that you can get for kids that teach them to do it themself. We even got the "No more diapers" book when she was pottytraining, and it worked right on the spot of first time reading it!
    Good luck!!!!! Don't stress too much. Youll be fine!!! :)
    SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 12:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My three year old wipes her own. I got her Kandoo wipes from pampers. She loves them because they are special and just for her! So she uses them. They also get cleaner because they are moist and they are flushable!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My baby brother went to kindergarten and asked his teacher to wipe his butt! She told him he'd just have to manage on his own. That did it for him! I laugh when I think about that still. My kids wipe their behinds at 3. You have babied her a bit haven't you? Lol you still say poo poo! Just tell her she needs to handle her own business and buy her moist wipes. Good luck!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the teacher did it anyway, so many kid are so babied. My guy is in preschool and the only thing he can't do is do up the snap on his jeans but apparently the teacher helps him with his clothes and wiping at school because they assume they can't do it. Drives me crazy because they complain that he sits down to pee because that makes more work for him. Well if they'd just let him go to the bathroom by himself they wouldn't even know!
    Anonymous