Help with changing from bottle to sippy cup

Hey girls I need help with the whole sippy cup change. Now my daughter (who is 1) has been using a sippy cup with just juice and water since 6 months. So she knows what it is. Now I'm trying to introduce the sippy cup with formula mixed with milk. I'm gradually adding more milk in throughout the month until its all milk. But every time I give her her sippy with the formula/milk she wont drink it. She drank it a little maybe 3 times but not a lot. Its driving me crazy that shes refusing it. I still give her a bottle for her nighttime bottle but that's it. Do any of you ladies have any advice on to get her to drink the sippy? Oh and I've been doing this for a little over a week now so I thought she would have given in by now lol okey dokey Thanks ladies!

oxojen178oxo

Asked by oxojen178oxo at 12:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just got my son off the bottle and onto the sippy entirely (he turned 1 last week). I just took the bottles away and gave him the sippy. He ignored it at first but that night he got hungry and took it. For some reason the transition was really easy for me, with my older two it was pure hell for a couple of days. But I still say cold turkey is the way to go.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• It's qute possible that she's just rejecting the sippy cup with milk in it because it's formula and she's familiarized the bottle with formula.. Try giving her just milk in it. If she's over 12 months there is no need to continue giving her formula. Give her a vitamin, try the gummy ones, each day and cut out formula all together. Stop giving her the bottle at night, I know it's terrifying, but she'll likely transition much better than you think. You can also try to introduce a regular cup if she's not into her sippy anymore... give her a small plastic cup, filled about a quarter of the way to half way, and supervise, on tile or a rug preferably. My children never really took a sippy cup. I tried, but they were all about the big kid cups and honestly they've done super with them since about a year. They started drinking from them at 6 months...
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 12:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Throw the bottles away. If she's thirsty, she will drink. I promise.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I noticed with my daughter that when I put the spill proof valve in the sippy cup that it was hard for her to get the milk out and she became frustrated and did not want it. When she was sitting in her high chair, I would take the valve out and give her the sippy cup without it. The milk comes out easier and she realized what was in it and what she should do. Be advised, watch her for chocking as the milk does come out much more freely!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2009