Am I the only one who hates the ice cream man?

I try very hard to reasonably keep my kids from sweets. There is a playground near our house that I frequently take my kids to. Just about ever day that we've been this week, the ice cream man has come! Of course, every kid on the playground races over to buy ice cream, and my kids beg and cry for ice cream too. I buy it for them, because I don't have the heart to have them sit there watching everyone else eat it, but it really bugs me. Here I am trying to do something healthy for my kids by taking them to the playground and that damned ice cream man has to come by and ruin it! Am I weird to feel this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I only hated the ice cream man because he used to drive by our house at dinner time.

An occasional ice cream treat won't do your kids any harm.  Lighten up and let them be kids.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Hell na, the ice-cream man in my hood is the most loved man around.
    Anonymous

• you could always get them those fruit pops which are all fruit and sweetened with fruits natural sugar!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I hate him because he plays the music so loud it woke up my baby at 930 at night! I was pissed. other than that i dont mind but my son is only 3 wks old so i dont have to worry about him asking for some....its my husband i have to worry about lol
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• i like him sometimes but around my way we have about 3 or 4 different ice cream trucks coming by and my kids beg for it every time they come by- and it starts around noon with the annoying music and doesnt stop until around 9 or 10 at night- ugh!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• The other day we were at tee ball practice, and the ice cream truck was driving around the block for like 10 minutes. As it is the attention spam of 3-5 year olds isn't that great. The coach finally yelled at him "F'ing ice cream man go away so my kids will pay attention!" My kids prefer the sno cone truck though.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 1:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I hate his happy loud music. And I hate it when he stops in front of my house. Its like hes trying to screw up my diet on purpose!!! That said, I used to work on an ice cream truck, and that was an awesome job.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 2:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I hat the ice cream man because their music is way too loud and some of the songs are so freaking annoying I want to strangle myself just to save me from listening to them.
    Otherwise they don't bother me and I never buy stuff for my kids from the ice cream trucks or the little carts they push around. My dad occasionally buys from the carts. They are like $1.25 for an ice cream bar. They are so yummy. But I never have cash on hand so the kids don't even ask most of the time. I never feel bad for not buying them ice cream even when everyone else has it. They don't need it. Sometimes they come in and have fruit or yogurt instead. We get those gogurts and freeze them for an instant cold, healthy treat in the summer.

They hang all over the park during the summer and there are always about 6 or 7 of them when school gets out.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My girls don't even ask for anything from the icecream truck - they know they get better icecream treats here at home.
    What I can't stand is how loud the music is so that we can hear it for at least 2 miles away and then he drives down the street as if he were an ambulance rushing to an accident scene!
    I do have fond memories of getting a treat now and then during the summer as a child from the icecream truck. They were smaller then, carried less treats, but were reasonably priced and the man was very friendly.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I wish we had an ice cream man. Town's way to freaking small and too many Dutch people that wouldn't shell out a buck or two. Not worth it here. He'd get plenty of business from me though!
    Anonymous