Homeschoolers who can't spell....*Spinoff*

Why do people who can't spell, use correct grammar, correct punctuation, or even the correct word think they can homeschool? Sure, you get a book with the answers, but how can you teach what you obviously don't know? How do you go about correcting mistakes on something like a book report? Something that has no answer key.
If you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" or "then" and "than" or "to" "too" and "two", you have no business teaching anybody.
Yes, it IS important to know those things to get a good job. If you're content with your (notice the difference in "you're" and "your") children having a menial job when they grow up, keep teaching them yourself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'll repeat myself since the answer to this is the same as the answer to your other question.

They don't care. They don't care what you think, and they don't care about grammatical standards. There are many, many people who feel that it's not important.

You, me and a chorus of hallelujah singers can all agree they're wrong, but it doesn't alter the fact that they are in charge of their own children and choose to do what they want with them.

Instead of trying to change them, which is fruitless and pointless, just remember that your children will be up against them on standardized testing, college admissions applications and future jobs. Take pleasure in that and the fact that we'll have a very nice pool of unskilled labor to draw from in the future. I'm sure they'll all be very morally upright, which is a nice added bonus.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• AMEN sister!
    Anonymous

• I like your way of thinking Avarah! LOL

Most states have a standards that homeschooled kids have to meet, right? I think the parents should have to take a simple test themselves before being given OK to homeschool.
    Anonymous

• I've always wondered how anyone can feel qualified to home-school. I have a science degree in molecular biology, minor in chemistry, and a law degree, and I still don't feel qualified to teach my child everything they will need to know!
    Anonymous

• Did you ever stop to think about where those parents learned to spell (or not) in the first place? Chances are it was at public school. Maybe they are well aware of their own shortcomings because of their public school education and want better for their kids.

Also, homeschooling doesn't necessarily work like a public school classroom with a teacher standing at a chalk board lecturing. It's a whole different dynamic. Look up the word autodidact. It applies to a lot of homeschooled kids. Homeschooled kids are capable of learning far more than their own parents know.

You're also assuming that a parent's education is complete, but it's not. All of those things that you missed in school, or didn't do well on, or memorized for the test and promptly forgot...there's always going to be another opportunity to really learn them. People don't realize how much the PARENTS can also learn while homeschooling their own children.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Do you know how many children going to public schools can't spell worth a damn?

LOL

Nice try.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I have no idea what your ranting about. I home school 3 of my kids and they are all advanced by at least 1 year compared to public school kids. The curriculum we use is similar and sometimes the same as what public school uses, but they have the advantage of time. They never have to settle for a lower grade on an assignment because they have time to study until they know it, unlike the public school system that has a strict schedule to follow and leaves kids behind. My kids also have the advantage of being able to pursue their interests unlike public school kids.

Anonymous

• Sounds like someone's jealous.....

I must be abusing my kids educationally since I homeschool. What good are you doing by complaining about homeshcoolers anyways? You're certainly not going to change any of our minds.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Now who's assuming? I don't have to look up "autodidact". I know what it means.

Yes, most of those parents probably did get a public school education. That still doesn't qualify them to teach anyone. If anything, it makes them less qualified. If they wanted better for their kids, they would make sure someone qualified teaches them.

No one is qualified to teach every subject kids need to learn. That's why there are different teachers who specialize in different subjects.

My kids are going to a good private school, but that doesn't mean their learning stops there. We supplement it at home as well. Museums, traveling, games all are a part of their learning. I'm not going to short change my kids where education is concerned. It's hubris to think that you can teach your child everything they need to learn.

I
    Anonymous

• There are homeschooled kids who get full academic scholarships to Harvard; their are publicly educated kids who spend their lives at minimum wage jobs.

We considered homeschooling, but we knew that we would only be good at it for a few years. Our daughter is in a six year public high school. The class of 2009 had two graduates join the military, the rest are all going to colleges and universities ranging from local community colleges to Harvard. The 480 graduates received a total of $14 million in scholarships, and at least 1/3 of them graduated with a year or more of college credits. There is no way that we could have done this at home.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2009