Will you teach your children about other religions?

Or are you going to ignore the other religions until (if) your child asks you a direct question?

When your child says "who is God?" are you only going to focus on one answer or are you going to share the fact that many differnet people believe many different things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• When it happens (cause I know it will) I will explain to them what I believe and try to explain to them what others believe. If they still have questions, we will look it up together or talk to someone about it, together. I am not going to leave them "in the dark" so to speak. I want to help them discover the path that works best for them.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• We're not religious, so we're going to kinda be forced to tell her what everyone believes. We're not going to force her to be non-religious if she doesn't want to be, though. We're going to leave it up to her.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• We are exploring other religions.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Only if they are interested in them. We have no religion (we're atheist) but they know all about the Bible and stuff thanks to going to a Catholic school. They aren't interested in religion, though, and 2 of the 3 in the school don't believe in god or just don't care. The other still believes in Santa, too, so it's not a big deal. It's just not a topic of interest for us. My kids would rather talk about iCarly or Salena Gomez or NASCAR, etc. If they want to know more about some religion then I'll help them as best I can but otherwise I'm not bringing it up.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• No, I would let them know that people choose to follow other religions though.
    Anonymous

• me and my husband are different religions so when our son gets older we will teach him about both of our religions and make sure that he is able to look into other religions if he wants to. And if that includes me and my husband going to a church that we dont agree with 100% then we will still take our son if he wants to go and learn more about it. I refuse to push my religion on my son or any other person and my husband feels the same way.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My daughter learned about as many religions as I could find resources about from the time she was a toddler. We have even celebrated holidays from many religions at our house. When we talk about spiritual matters we discuss the many different views & when I tell her my conclusions I have always been explicit about the fact that those are my own deductions & there is no way of knowing who is "right" (and the fact that there probably isn't such a thing as "right" with these issues). Despite what many people fear, she was not confused by this, but is actually better at spiritual thinking than most of her peers.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• No choice when the world's biggest religion insists on forcing itself on everyone if they want it or not
    Anonymous

• I plan on exposing my kids to as many religions as possible.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 2:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Of course!

How else is she going to decide which one is best for HER?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2009