Unschooling = Uneducated

Why would anyone think unschooling works? The basic premise is you don't teach the kid unless they ask you to teach them. You don't guide them in any direction. If they ask you to teach them to add and subtract, you do. You don't, however, tell them they need to learn it. You can play Yahtzee with them and maybe they'll learn some math, but you don't teach them unless they want to know. How many kids are going to actually ASK to be taught something? How the hell do they even know what to ask to learn if they don't know about learning?
It's a ridiculous method. I read an article recently about a woman who did it with her kids. She wouldn't say what they do for a living now because she "doesn't measure success in that way". Whatever. She didn't want to say b/c her kids are stuck in crappy go nowhere jobs. Thanks Mom! What if her kids had wanted to grow up to be a surgeon? Fat chance of that happening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why do all the homeschoolers think that once a publicly educated child walks out the school doors that their education stops there? I still teach my kids at home. I just know I can't teach them all they need to know to be successful. I teach my child how to get through life. That's a stupid reason to unschool.

I have read a LOT about unschooling and don't care to read anymore. It's a ridiculously lazy way to "teach" your child. Again, it's NOT the same as homeschooling. There is NO curriculum. You go by what the child wants to learn.
    Anonymous

• The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
    Albert Eintein
    Anonymous

• We need the servant to help the gift grow.
    Anonymous

• So this going to be bash homeschoolers week, I take it.
    I'm not a homeschooler but I think unschooling could work if done properly. Kids have a natural yearning to learn. As long as you do guide them and encourage them they will seek out knowledge. If they choose to sit around and do nothing then you have to intervene and actually teach them something. Homeschooling is not for lazy people. That's the reason I don't do it. I don't have the patience or the initiative to keep up with their studies. Plus I need that 6 hour break from them...they drive me nuts.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• There are many ways to take on un-schooling, and it doesn't mean that you "only teach them what they ask". Un-schooling is also about teaching children through living life versus sitting them in a desk and chair for 8 hours of the day, not paying attention to their individual learning needs, and giving them busy work that has NOTHING to do with the career they want to go into.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I think you need to do a little more research on the topic before you go off about it. You're acting really uneducated yourself right now.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Homeschooling is different than unschooling. Homeschooling follows a curriculum. Unschooling follows nothing but the child's whims.
    Anonymous

• "As long as you do guide them and encourage them they will seek out knowledge. If they choose to sit around and do nothing then you have to intervene and actually teach them something."

Then that wouldn't be unschooling it would be homeschooling. In unschooling you canNOT guide them at all. You have to let them make the decisions on what/when they learn.

Unschooling is what lazy parents do. Again, different than homeschooling.
    Anonymous

• http://www.unschooling.com/library/faq/index.shtml

For those of you that think it's just allowing the kids to be lazy and do nothing....

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Unschooling done properly is not "letting the child do what they want". It is teaching the child everything they need to know by using the child's own interests. For example: you have a chid that is obsessed with horses. They learn reading, writing and math by centering everything around horses.
    If you know someone who is "unschooling" who doesn't have thier kids do anything, chances are you don't really KNOW what they are doing or don't recognize it as school.
    We got some chickens last year. My children documented the growth of chickens by keeping journals, drawing pictures, measuring, calculating, creating graphs. They also took care of the chickens and learned responsibility.
    It was something they wanted to do. I simply threw it into school mode.
    Life is education, don't underestimate it because you think worksheets are the way to go.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2009