Is 5 months/13# okay age to start sleep training?

She starts off in her bed, but by 12 am she wants in ours. If it were that simple, I'd be ok. But we tosses and turns. No one gets rest. I'm just afraid to start sleep training b/c what if she's gassy or teething at night. I don't want her crying when she's hurting.
No haters about CIO please. Only support. I did CIO with my first and she's an awesome sleeper!! But she was never gassy.

kels81

Asked by kels81 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How do you know your 5 month old wants in your bed? I guess most babies would love to sleep inbetween warm mommy and daddy but if she is used to that it is because you allowed it. Make her bed comfy, put on some music and start a bedtime ritual. I think 5 months is a good time to get on a sleep schedule. If you did it with your first you know it can work pretty quickly.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• If you use the term CIO, you're gonna get comments you don't like...if you do your research, CIO does not mean you let them cry themselves to sleep....I would suggest googling it and doing your own research. I absolutely HATE CIO. I think it's neglectful. Even the "inventor" of that method has admitted that it is not right....yes, you can get on a sleep schedule but that doesn't mean letting him CIO....I would suggest the book "the No cry, sleep solution"...it's a great book....but PLEASE do research on this method before you let him just lay there and cry..
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• also remember, that when a baby cries for extended periods of time it can release dangerous amounts of corisol which is a stress hormone...just please read about it b/c you will get a LOT of answers that you don't like here
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Yes it's fine. If you want your bed back it's the only way. Better sooner than later, good luck to you Mom.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• here is a link to a great article I cut and pasted into a journal http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/91515/Baby_Toddler_Sleep_issues
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I let mine cry it out but that was at 7 months. She would cry for a few minutes and just pass out. As for a schedule, the older she got she just kind of made her own and I just went off that. CIO is fine. I never got sleep either when she was in the bed and she didn't either.
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• also if your little one is gassy and u r breastfeeding take a look at your diet. First thing I would try is cut dairy out of your diet for 2wks. see if there is an improvement. chiropractic care may help too
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2009