I need some advice on 6 year annoying behaviour

My stepson is 6 and he is a good kid and we spend alot of time together just him and I. But when we are at home he tends to be up his dads butt. We put a tv in his room so he could watch cartoons and we could watch our own shows that aren't appropriate for him. I don't know how to teach him to be independent and stop rellying on his dad for intertainment. He also has a question about anything and everything. I try to be patient with him so I don't snap at him. He won't play by himself and doesn't listen. He also has a whiny voice when he doesn't get what he wants. Please help me I don't know how much more patience I have. Please give me some tips on how to stop the bad behaviour and annoying behaviour. I love my stepson and when I spend time with him I want to enjoy him. PLEASE HELP!

LacyJane86

Asked by LacyJane86 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • well, ...if you want him to be independant i suggest you take that TV out of his room. ...that's like an electronic babysitter. He needs his Dads attention. You said he gets a lot of one on one time with you. But what about with his dad?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• What she said. :p My thought exactly.

If he is vying for his dad's attention, there is a reason, he needs more quality time with his dad.
    As for the whining, tell him unless he can ask or answer in a regular voice, he won't get what he wants. If he starts whining and crying about not getting something, make sure he knows that if he whines he definitely has no chance of getting it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Sounds like a 6 yr old to me!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Hes just craving attention with his dad. You should take to your hubby about it and let him know what is going on. He should really understand and know that you are not "picking" on the boy. Try and get the father to do more things with him and start standing up to the boy. Aka: Tell him you won't talk to him when he talks to you in a whiney voice. It has to be a big boy voice!
    See if dad will do extra things with him though, like reading more books or playing outside, ect.
    I really believe the boy thinks you may be getting more attention then he is: and that is what he is craving....is his dads attention. Time for daddy to put his foot down. You can only do so much hun.
    Good luck! Have an amazing week!
    SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 2:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Do you have children of your own? Children are supposed to be entertained by their parents! He's trying to learn how to be an adult male from his father. You put a t.v. in a 6 year ols room? We watch our shows at bedtime...and spend the rest of our time with our children. That's what a parent does!
    HelloKitty1225

Answer by HelloKitty1225 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My Ped. just recommended the book 1 2 3 Magic for my whinny, obnoxious 5 year old...I have read it but not started yet. It sounds simple enough and we will be starting when he gets back home on Wed. Your whole house would have to be on board for it to work though.
    Anonymous

• i have a few things to say.
    about the whole 123 magic CRAP, i have to say that i don't like that program at all. to me it just seems like it teaches them that they don't have to listen to you until you say 3.
    the t.v. in his room is not going to help at all. my son is almost 8 and he has NEVER had a t.v. in his room and never will until he grows up and moves out. my friend has always had t.v.s in her children's rooms and even let them fall asleep at night to them. her children have no imagination at all. my son can play by himself for hours. we encourage imaginative play alot. don't tell him to 'go play' tell him to go slay the dragon in his room. show him imaginative play, in my experience with my son, the only way that you teach kids is through play. be silly, embarrass yourself, and just have fun. they learn alot more when they don't realize that they are learning. best leasons they will ever learn is imagination
    wesleys_mama

Answer by wesleys_mama at 10:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• The TV in his room is a bad idea.

Like other posters, I think he just needs to spend quality one-on-one time with his dad.

Maybe he and dad can go to the park together to play, so you can have the house to yourself and some deserved peace.

I think that if he gets some good, undivided dad attention, he'll calm down more and be less of a pest.

Maybe try explaining to him that you and dad need time to yourselves. Give him copious attention, then explain you need private time to watch your show and do not want interruptions.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:01 AM on Jun. 29, 2009