general tso's chicken

I have come to love the General Tso's chicken that you can buy from the deli at walmart. Anybody work there that knows the recipe/ingredients? Or does anybody else have a favorite General Tso's recipe they can share (not too spicy!) or place they buy it from?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 1:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I think it is easier and less expensive to buy it at the local chinese place than try and make it. It's really a pain in the but to do it and once you add up the ingredfients it is one of those things that are better to purchace made!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• You can probably buy the sauce at Walmart. Ask them, they're pretty good about that.My dh fav is gen.tso
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Very easy and very yummy!
    General Tsao's Tofu
    1 box of firm or extra firm tofu
    1 egg or substitute
    3/4 cup cornstarch
    vegetable oil for frying
    3 chopped green onions
    1 Tablespoon minced ginger
    1 Tablespoon minced garlic
    2/3 cup vegetable stock
    2 Tablespoons soy sauce
    4 Tablespoons sugar
    red pepper to taste
    1 Tablespoon sherry (optional) (you can sub apple cider or white grape juice)
    1 Tablespoon white vinegar
    steamed broccoli
    cooked brown rice
    Drain, dry and cut tofu into 1 inch chunks. You can freeze tofu the night before to get a more chicken-like consistency, but it isn't necessary. Mix the egg with 3 tablespoons cold water. Dip tofu in egg/water
    mixture and coat completely. Sprinkle 3/4 cup cornstarch over tofu and coat completely. Watch out that the cornstarch doesn't clump up at the bottom of the bowl.
    Heat oil in pan and fry tofu pieces until golden. Drain oil.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Heat 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil in pan on medium heat. Add green onions, ginger and garlic, cook for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn garlic. Add vegetable stock, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper and vinegar. Mix 2 Tablespoons water with 1 Tablespoon cornstarch and pour into mixture stirring well. Add fried tofu and coat evenly.
    Serve immediately with steamed broccoli over rice.

• There are lots of variations of General Tso's chicken. I've never tried to make it, but I try it at almost every chinese restaurant I go to. No one makes it like the stuff I grew up on and it's starting to drive me nuts! LOL! I live 14 hours from my hometown, so I'm kinda screwed unless it's Christmas time.

I need to try to make it one day and see if I can get it close to what I like. Either that or I'm gonna have to go make the restaurant back home give me the recipe.

I also just saw this week that Wendys has come out with it's new "asian chicken", it's General Chicken, but I haven't tried it yet.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Don't bother with the chicken from Wendy's. It is just their nuggets with asian sauce poured over them.

OP: go to www.foodnetwork.com or anyother food website like Kraft or Rachael Ray and there should be tons of recipes. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2009