• In the Spotlight:

? for homeschool momma's

Why have you chosen to homeschool? Has your child previously been enrolled in a traditional school? Do you think you'll ever allow your child to go back to traditional schools?

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I homeschool for many reasons, just some of them are:
    To spend time with my kids. (I actually like mine.)
    To give them a better education without wasting their time with busywork.
    To teach them that they can be their own person and keep them away from other children. (Most of which I have found to be brats.)
    Yes my kids have been in traditional schools.
    No they will not go back.
    I must be pmsing. I don't mean for this to sound so grumpy but I am really tired of people asking this. Everyone homeschools for thier own reasons. Get your own.
    Anonymous

• For the record, I homeschool....LOL.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• From a kids standpoint, I was homeschooled and went to other schools Private and public. I will say honestly that growing up I missed the interaction with other children and the school happenings like awards assemblies, science fairs, sports, music class(marching band), the after school clubs and so on. I was an only child also, so it go kind of lonely and we lived in an area where there wasn't a ton of kids to play with nearby. I know there is a lot of crap in public schools, my mom has taught in one for 25 years and the stories go on and on. My oldest is in a private academy where he get's a wonderful education and we work with the teachers as a team.
    You have to do what works for you. Please don't be defensive I'm just sharing my experiences as a child who had been home schooled.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Why have you chosen to homeschool? In a nutshell..... it's better for them academically & socially. Has your child previously been enrolled in a traditional school? Nope. Do you think you'll ever allow your child to go back to traditional schools? That would depend on a whole laundry list of things.... we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My kids have never been to school of any kind. I chose unschooling for more reasons than I can list here. Suffice it to say that I don't agree with compulsory education or one-size-fits-all government schooling, and I actually LOVE being with my kids. They're really amazing people! I can't foresee any reason that they would ever go to public school, and whether they go to college will be up to them.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 3:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I despise the incompetence of the public school system. I do not like the government raising my kids. I gave birth to them, and I want to be in control of their education, and involved.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2009