How can people argue over this? (Atheists and Christians alike)

I'm just trying to figure this out. Christians argue the existance of God based on faith. But since there is no physical proof that's as far as it can go. Atheists argue the existance of no higher being based on a lack of proof. But... a lack of proof doesn't necessarily mean that a higher being doesn't exist. It just means that you can't prove it. (Hence why I'm agnostic.) It seems these 2 groups argue, but in the end... neither one can be proven right. So why continue arguing over something that you won't know until your dead?

Jafra_mommy

Asked by Jafra_mommy at 2:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good question. That's why I'm an agnostic atheist :D I generally hold the belief that there is no god, but it's not my end-all be-all belief. Perhaps one day someone will be able to prove it once and for all. But I'm not going to waste my life trying to find out.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• We still have a long way to go and a lot to learn. being smart does not mean how much you know but, how much you want to learn.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Normally I don't. It's when I am flat out told I am going to hell because I don't believe in god that I argue. Well sometimes not even then. It's not until after I've expressed that I have no interest and the other person is still trying to convince me that I argue. I just post my point of view. If you want to debate it or argue it my personal message box is open to all. Be respectful and maybe my mind and heart will be open too. Still won't change my mind I'm sure, but might give me more perspective on your side.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• The truth is we like to argue! Not saying it is right, but it is the truth.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Because they continuously try to enforce their *faith* on people who require proof to believe in things. Not gonna happen.

Let me live my own life (without calling me or my way of life names... I am not out there running around telling people they are being led about by their nose by unscrupulous con men. Never even said that before online much less in  real life...

I believe there is a lot of good and positivity in many religions- unfortunately- humans (many) have the need to control others- and humans (many) have the need to be told what to do and so are susceptible to believing what they are told w/o questioning enough... (IMO of course...)and so whatever good was there originally gets lost in translation...

mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I only argue when people insinuate that I believe because I want to, am brainwashed or because I must be uneducated, not because I don't have any proof. I believe that people who are called by God to believe DO have proof. It is such an internal confirmation manifested all around you in your everyday life that you just absolutely KNOW. I never, ever expect someone else that isn't called by God to feel that, just as I know I will never know what it is like NOT to be able to feel that.

I believe all faith serve a purpose to bring God's ultimate will into fruition. Therefore, he calls different people to himself when he so chooses. For some, it may not be until later in life, shortly before death or after death at judgement when his glory is revealed where faith and repentence are inevitable.

cont.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I believe God is sovereign and he makes no mistakes. If he has not called someone yet, nothing I do will be able to change it. Although I may be a tool to bring about his purpose, if someone is not interested or doesn't feel called, beating them over the head with my Bible will only make my arm tired (although I admit, I could use the exercise lol).

I am fully aware I cannot produce the object of my faith and internal confirmation on a spread sheet for all to see and know without a doubt. But I can't deny my proof just because there isn't any for you. I wish we could discuss our differences without trying to prove each other wrong.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• NL just wondering why it would be offensive to you for some one to say you believe because you want to? Serious question I can see where the other examples you gave can be offensive to a person but not that one.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I don't argue about it. If a person wants to believe in an invisible guy in the sky and that helps them somehow, it is not my concern. I myself have never felt the need to believe in god, I am happy with the life I have and never felt a lack for not buying into religion. If it were not for the fact that christians try to shove it down peoples throats, put god on our money and our pledge and get into politics, I could care less. Believe in what you want, keep it to yourself or at least out of our government.
    Anonymous

• I don't. Until I'm called "blind","stupid", "brainwashed", "uneducated", "unable to think for myself." None of which are true. My eyes are completely wide open, I'm more educated than alot of other people, no one brainwashed me in any way, I'm very well-educated, and I am perfectly able to think for myself. I also choose to exercise my free will to follow God, and live by His Holy Written Word. I choose to exercise my free will to believe that Jesus came and died on the cross to save mine,and everyone else's souls. And, I choose to believe that He will return for His church,and I will spend eternity in Heaven. Just as others choose to exercise their free will to NOT believe any of that. Doesn't make them right, or me, or them or me wrong. It just makes us different,and everyone needs to learn to agree to disagree,and MOVE ON!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2009