Why does the school get to control so much!?

Am I the only parent that feels this way?
My dd will be going to school soon & it aggravates me that once she is in school --Mon-Fri the school owns her ... MY CHILD! If I want to take her to the museum, the zoo, ect. I cant because my child legally has to be in school.... Even if they are having a free day/ play day (which is often).. I could go to jail for letting my kid do something educational with me instead!
Am i the only one it bothers that at the age of 5 or 6 as a parent I already have to give up control of my childs life & what she will be doing, when & where?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh momma.... you're just scraping the surface.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Be ready to have a whole slew of homeschoolers telling you to homeschool.

It's because they get their funding based on how many kids attend. If you take your child out for a day, that counts against them. The high school I went to used to let us out at 11:01 on the days before a vacation (Spring Break, Thanksgiving, etc) because if we were in school past 11:00, the school could count us there for the entire day. So it didn't effect their funding and we got to get out early on days we'd be doing little to nothing anyway.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I think it sucks! Thanks Anon 1:51 for the funding info. So I guess they just care about the money & not the education of the child. Interesting, but not surprising. So typical. I think I'd like to home school until my DS reaches middle school age. I think school is BS anyway. I don't remember anything I learned. They most definitely teach common sense or real world experiences. And high school is just a daycare center for teenagers.

Also, in my state, it's illegal for a child to skip school & if they're caught, the parent has to go to court & the parent gets punished! I think it's BS b/c what if the parent has absolutely no idea?! I don't think it's very fair.

I would love to take my child to the zoo, Imax theater, on trips, etc. instead of having him sit in a classroom for 12-13 years.
    Anonymous

• uhh homeschool then geez you dont have to complain about it. if you think you can teach her everything she needs to know then do it!! i was homeschooled from 10th to 12th grade, i was falling behind from not doing my work i have ADD and with homeschooling i graduated at 17
    Anonymous

• The government only gets control of your child if you GIVE it to them.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 3:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I have thought about HS.. My dh & family does not support it. I would love to, honestly! But I dont think I could give my child a well rounded education. I do wish their was a happy medium of PS & HS.. I dont think the PS does the best job.. But I know I cant either..
    Anonymous

• I do know a big part of it is MONEY... Our school just started a "Buy Back"... You can LITERALLY buy your missed days back or sit in dhall for so many hrs to make them up! *rolls eyes* whats that teaching a child! ?
    Anonymous

• That is why we are homeschooling next year.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• The government gets control because they provide the "free" education. That's why I educate mine at home myself. No worries! We take field trips whenever we want to wherever we want. We can school in the morning, afternoon, or evening. I can make the schedule to fit OUR schedule.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I've taken my child out of school to go do something. When my oldest was in kindergarten my husband had off one Friday. It was a gorgeous spring day and it was the first time he had an morning off in forever. The kids barely saw him because of his work schedule. We decided to take the kids to the zoo but my oldest had school. She had a nearly perfect attendance so we said screw it, called her in sick and went to the zoo and had a great day. I believe family time like that is just as important as school work. She had missed like 5 days the entire year and was a straight A student so I didn't even think twice about not sending her. Oh and 3 of those days she missed was because I was in the hospital having our youngest. She missed school the day of the birth because we had to be there at 7am and had no one to watch her and the other 2 days my husband was too lazy to get up and take her to the bus stop at 11:30am.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2009