What do you do with a hubby that is a picky eater?

My hubby and I have been married for 7 years now and we have a 3 yr. old son. I have always tried to cook things that I know my husband will eat. In doing this, we have both gained a significant amount of weight. I am now trying to lose the weight b/c of health problems. My husband has some of the same health problems, but doesn't seem to want to do what is needed to lose his weight. I am now on a special diet and can not eat the same way we used to. I have been cooking things that are low sodium, low oil and no sugar, but he refuses to eat it. He won't try new things even though he has never even tasted it before. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to cook special things for him b/c I don't watnt to be tempted with the foods that I am no longer allowed to eat. Now my son is picking up on the same habits and won't even try something if he doesn't like the way it looks. What do I do? HELP!!!

Kitten_kish

Asked by Kitten_kish at 2:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Watch the show Cook Yourself Thin on lifetime channel. It takes some of the favorite dishes people have (mac &cheese, lasagna, even chocolate cake) and substitutes high fat items to make the meal less caloric and less fatty without changing the taste. Tip 1- Dont tell your hubby you have changed the dish. (Cook Yourself Thin is also a recipe book)
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 3:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Mine is the same way, he wants red meat all day, the only vegetable he will eat is potatoes and sometimes corn, and forget about any kid of fruit. I cook for him occasionaly, but for the most part, I dont cater to him anymore. I am the same way with my kids. I fix a meal, and if you dont like it, there is stuff in the fridge to make a sandwich. There are some things I will make that I will seperate out a bowl for him before I add all the good stuff to it, like onions, tomatoes, stuff like that, But I wont fix completely different stuff either. I got lucky though and my kids arent too terribly picky about it...just let yor son see you eat things and he will pick up on that too. Instead of not eating healthy because your husband doesnt. If he wont eat right, try switching to extra virgin olive oil, low sodium salt, those type of things all tase the same and he doesnt even have to know you switched it.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My hubby is like this, so he cooks. Luckily he eats pretty healthy. After 9 years of marriage he has tried a few new things and with some education he has tried a few new things. Cook for you and your son and if doesn't eat it then, he can cook for himself or starve. You can't make him change, just lst him know that you can't continue to do this and you love him. IF your son wont eat that is fine then he can starve. no child will starve themselves, so he will learn to eat with in a few meals. Also it might help to get ride of the foods that are a problem, slowly. And replace them with food that are better. With the kids cheese usually helps.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My husband is also the same way. I was a vegan when we met. I got so tired of cooking two dishes so I gave in and started eating meat again (with the exception of pork). I think that if your husband is not willing to help himself, than no amount of fussing on your part is going to get him to. What you need to focus on is your health, and your child's health. In addition if it were me, I would make funeral arrangements. Men hate doing things like that, and I would put it up in his face so it is real. That means wills/guardianships/funeral arrangements the whole bit. If he asks you why you are on the death kick tell him that you know if he continues to eat the way he does, he wont have a very long life, and that if he is unwilling to be responsible for his health, he needs to at least be responsible for the results of that unhealthy lifestyle and what it will do to your family.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 3:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• You are both setting a terrible example for your child. Meal time should be family time, with tasty, healthy meals that won't destroy your budget.
    I have a ton of healthy, tasty, family and budget friendly recipes. I can list some; contact me for recipes.
    Noodles & veggies with peanut sauce
    Veggie pot pie
    Lentil tacos
    Squashed macaroni
    Sweet potato & black bean burritos
    Sloppy jojos (made with lentils)
    Italian stew
    Mediterranean Vegetable Stew with Poached Eggs
    Veggie stew with dumplings (crockpot)
    Southwest falafel (bean patties with avocado sauce)
    Tofu "fish sticks" with sweet potato or acorn squash baked "fries"
    General Tsao’s Tofu
    Tamale Bean Pie
    The rule at our house is you try 3 bites of dinner, if you don't like it you get (yourself) toast with peanut butter & honey with an apple; while this was implemented for our daughter, sometimes my husband has this...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• Tell your husband to shop for his own food, cook his own food and clean up after himself. You may be his wife but you are not his slave or personal chef.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• There aren't many things I find less attractive in a man than being a picky eater. I never would have married the guy in the first place.
    Anonymous

• Let him starve. lol Are his fingers broken? If not, then he can cook his own food.
    Anonymous